vette project nearing completion

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:26 am
Earlier this week I posted on the General forum about getting concrete off paint and it came to me that after seeking much advice from Forum members recently on a home paint job, I had never gone back and posted a pic to show that it went fairly successfully, at least I think.
The car is a 1960 vette I've had for about 20 years now but just the last couple of years started getting serious about painting it. Getting tired of driving around summers in faded epoxy primer and not being the kind of vette owner to have it towed to a restoration shop and give them a blank check!
The body was OK with just the usual stress cracks and lumpy bodywork from previous repairs. I did the usual outrageous amounts of sanding to try and get it as straight as possible with numerous coats of primer-surfacer. I agonized a lot over the paint to use and eventually decided to go with PPG single-stage urethane. I thought that it might be overall slightly less complex for a greenhorn and more forgiving for a repaint or touchups in future. (?)
I don't think Chip Foose will be hiring me anytime soon but I was more or less pleased with how it turned out despite making mistakes and learning tons that I'd do differently next time. My biggest mistake was after laying on a horribly orange-peely coat and not stopping to let cure then resanding and trying again. Correct ? No? Anyways, I had to do some serious color sanding with way too coarse of grit.
So, all in all I'm very pleased with how it looks; not a show car but proof that someone of average intelligence, patience and
willingness to learn from mistakes can still paint a car in a garage in 2013!
Got to go now, the phone's ringing and the call display says C. Foose! :D
Big shoutout to all Forum members that guided me along the way!

Gord

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 am
Nice car.
I always recommend first timers use BC/CC rather than single stage. The application of color is way easier and most of the issues come with the clear coat which is fairly easy to remedy.
Painting a black car is especially ambitious for a first paint job since black shows every flaw in the body work. From the pic it looks like you did a great job. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 am
Thanks! I've always liked the look of a black car and thought why not try what I really want. We all know how bad a black paint job can look!
Yes, the project was intimidating for a newbie but had some guidance and quality control checks from a knowledgable friend that came by occasionally. Once again, not Pebble Beach material but I'm happy!
Maybe I should have gone bc/cc but it's done now. I think I got enuf confidence that I would definitely give it a try next time!
Gord

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 am
Congrats on seeing it through, it looks real nice! Classic car that deserves the kind of attention you've given it.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects