W.I.P. Repainting 2000 Tundra

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:52 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Looks like you have that gun and your spray technique dialed in... nice job nate!! :goodjob: :clap:

I got a little orange peel on the roof near the center where I was having to really reach, but other than that it looks pretty good.

I'm working an issue on another thread regarding my decision to apply three coats instead of two. I read somewhere on this forum that two coats was too thin for cut & buff. It was either you or Coronet guy. I'll call the tech support line today or tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Now I've got a lot of reassembly to do.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 pm
So nate how do you like that EZ Edger? I did a search and found them on line, not cheap but if they work well probably worth the money. Found an old post here on the site where some talked about using foam backed tape instead and how well it worked for eliminating hard tape lines. Let us know your thoughts on this tool. Thanks / Coy

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:46 pm
CaBoy Coy wrote:So nate how do you like that EZ Edger? I did a search and found them on line, not cheap but if they work well probably worth the money. Found an old post here on the site where some talked about using foam backed tape instead and how well it worked for eliminating hard tape lines. Let us know your thoughts on this tool. Thanks / Coy

It seems to work fine based on my limited experience. However, I did buy some of that 3M soft edge foam, and if I'd learned about it beforehand, I probably wouldn't have bought the EZ Edger. If you're going to do a lot of painting, I'd say it's a handy tool, but just for a single project, the 3M foam tape would do the same I think.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:00 pm
Got the doors reinstalled, along with a butt-load of weather stripping, interior panels, etc. I scrubbed off a lot of red mud off the weather stripping and cleaned everything up. Just didn't seem right to put dirty stuff back on the truck at this point.

I held off on installing my rear sliding window until after I painted the cab. It was a complete bear to install--not as easy as their website video showed--but after much preparation, it looks good. I hope it doesn't leak. I applied a 1/2" tall bead of urethane to both the window and frame, and visual inspection showed good squeeze-out all around the window frame.

I got a chance to base and clear the front of the bed today. I actually sprayed the clear with a flashlight. Tomorrow, I'm installing the headliner and interior trim panels, and joining the bed to the truck. Gotta start a kitchen remodel on Wednesday.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 pm
Truck on the back burner now? Any progress?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:06 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Truck on the back burner now? Any progress?

That's a joke, right? I married the bed to the truck yesterday in the rain. :happy:

With the new rear glass, new, thicker headliner, and rear seats installed, my truck is sooooo quiet. Quieter than my wife's previous Honda Pilot, and just as quiet as her Hyundai Veracruz.

Maybe I need to install a Thrush muffler since it's so quiet. :rockon:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:54 pm
Looking good.
It is a lot more work than people think. If you add up all your hours and materials and bill somebody for them it turns into a lot of money quickly.

Please post some pics of your truck so I can see the color better.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Looking good.
It is a lot more work than people think. If you add up all your hours and materials and bill somebody for them it turns into a lot of money quickly.

Please post some pics of your truck so I can see the color better.

Exactly. Now the $4000 that my local body shop quoted me seems completely reasonable.

I'll take some pictures under bright sunlight and post. The spruce green mica is so much prettier than the jade green mica. I've hated that color for 10 years.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:29 am
natemoore wrote:
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Truck on the back burner now? Any progress?

That's a joke, right? I married the bed to the truck yesterday in the rain. :happy:

With the new rear glass, new, thicker headliner, and rear seats installed, my truck is sooooo quiet. Quieter than my wife's previous Honda Pilot, and just as quiet as her Hyundai Veracruz.

Maybe I need to install a Thrush muffler since it's so quiet. :rockon:

Yea, I was messin' with ya... I'm sure it's gonna be awesome, :rockon:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm
Here's a picture of the paint in the sunlight. I like it!

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects