Homemade Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am
Very interesting on the info for your booth. When I built mine in my thread titled "my son's Porsche 928 " I was getting so much conflicting info from different sites. I finally went with NEGATIVE pressure. A/C filters filtered the incoming air and I had a large shop fan PULLING air out of the booth. The plastic walls drew in when the fan was running. It seemed to work fine for me. I also kept the floor wet. What is your feeling on that?
You have a lot more experience in this than I so I am all ears. Are there any advantages for a positive pressure booth as apposed to negative pressure? I may have to change my set up.

Really enjoying this thread and your input. Love this web site! :worthy:
Last edited by Dean_Fuller on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 pm
Dean_Fuller wrote:Very interesting on the info for your booth. When I built mine in my thread titled "my son's Porsche 928 " I was getting so much conflicting info from different sites. I finally went with NEGATIVE pressure. A/C filters filtered the incoming air and I had a large shop fan PULLING air out of the booth. The plastic walls drew in when the fan was running. It seemed to work fine for me. I also kept the floor wet. What is your feeling on that?
You have a lot more experience in this than I so I am all ears. Are there any advantages for a positive pressure booth as apposed to negative pressure? I may have to change my set up.

Really enjoying this tread and your input. Love this web site! :worthy:

I personally prefer negative pressure style but both work!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:51 pm
I live in Arizona and blowing dust can be a problem (yes even indoors). The positive pressure booth in my opinion helps to prevent outside contaminants from entering the booth, also the fans are pushing fresh air through them so they do not need to be explosion proof. Of course the intake air has to have good filtration or it defeats the benefits of the positive pressure booth.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:17 am
I'm a little late to party but reading everything I can. I was unfamiliar with the difference between positive and negative pressure booths, but I think I have it now! Let me know if I'm on the right track

Negative Pressure:

Air is pulled out of one end of the room - with intake being nothing more than a few openings on the other end that are heavily filtered

Positive Pressure:

Air is pulled into one end of the room (heavily filtered) - the extra pressure is forced out via openings on the other end

There are pros and cons to both, and personal preference, what items you have on hand, etc. Your situation will dictate how you go.

At least thats how I understand it?
++--Tim--++

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm
Bringing back and old thread, but has anybody else built anything like this in their own garage?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:15 pm
what about blowing the fumes out in to the backyard, do you need to pipe the exhaust up or away from the ground, say you have a dog that goes to the bathroom out there, can he get sick if he licks the ground?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 pm
There are many different ways to build your booth. You could have the exhaust pass through filters to catch any particles, use a tube fan (motor outside of ducting) for your exhaust and send it out a duct, etc.
The fumes are nasty but they tend to dissipate quickly with proper air flow. Once outside they are diluted quickly in the fresh air.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:There are many different ways to build your booth. You could have the exhaust pass through filters to catch any particles, use a tube fan (motor outside of ducting) for your exhaust and send it out a duct, etc.
The fumes are nasty but they tend to dissipate quickly with proper air flow. Once outside they are diluted quickly in the fresh air.

You have a nice booth you built, but in the winter moving that much air would bring in alot of cold air. You don't heat your booth or don't use it in the winter?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 am
I use a small electric heater to warm the booth and metal to above 70 degree (using an infrared thermometer). Turn the fans on just before I am read to spray and back off as soon as the cloud is gone.
I use one of these and it works very well. It seems they quit selling them though:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... QgodXV4A8A
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 am
I use the same heater (construction heater), they work great and can be bought just about anywhere that sells anything electrical, Home Depot for instance. I have a postive pressure booth setup as well and have the heater in the other room right by the blower that drives the air in so I don't need to shut it off at all while painting. I have one of the windows open in that other room so there is some cold air coming in but it doesn't have much effect, then again we don't live in Buffalo so you're fighting a tougher battle in that regard.
Rob
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies