Homemade Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:10 pm
how much did it cost all together to build your paint booth? thanks bro looks sick

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm
I have less than $300 in the booth but keep in mind that I already had the blower fans (old furnace fans), lights and some wood. Also, I got the filters for free from a nearby college.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm
Very nice. Nice simple layout and function. Good to see a usable paint booth doesn't have to be real elaborate.

More noob questions. Is the air blowing out under the garage door unfiltered? Not having painted before, I'm picturing a big cloud of overspray. Doesn't that get all over the inside of the door as well as all over everything outside of the door?

What are the inside dimensions of your booth? I don't think I saw them mentioned here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm
Wow, did I kill the thread off? I was hoping for some answers to my questions.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm
yeah i got you bro, so with buying the wood and fans prob around $1000.00 for everything for the booth? what are the dementions of it if you dont mind me asking including how tall the ceiling. thanks bro

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm
Sorry for the delay in answering but I have been out of town for a few days.
The booth is approximately 14' x 26' with 10' ceilings.
The fans are from old house furnaces and I bought them for $15 each at a yard sale.
The wood was about $200.
The air does exit unfiltered under and over the garage door that I open about 4". This seems to be right because it bows the plastic out slightly showing positive pressure in the booth.
Using an LVLP helps reduce the overspray and the remainder exits the booth quick enough that you don't really notice it.
There may be a slight bit on the garage door but to be honest I haven't really paid much attention to it.
I live in an area where every one has to own at least 5 acres. I have 7 and my garage is set back 200' from the road so its not an issue with the neighbors. Besides most of them are restoring cars in their garages as well.
Hope this helps.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41 am
That sucker looks NICE! Awsome job!

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 am
Well, I guess I'll let you take a vacation once in a while. :-)

Thanks for the dimensions. I've been wanting to add a third bay to my two car garage for some time anyway. With a '71 Mustang convertible in progress and a few other cars waiting in the wings, I think I'll make this one the paint booth and wanted to make sure I make it big enough. My two car garage is not big enough to walk around the cars far enough away to be holding a paint gun. But it's hard to gauge the size of anything from this Mustang. It looks like a go kart setting next to my other cars.

I also live in the country where neighbors won't be a problem. My concern with the overspray is that it would get on things outside that I don't want it on, like the side of the building, the concrete pad, other cars. Is the overspray dry enough by the time it gets out there that it doesn't stick on anything?

An LVLP spray gun. Just to make sure I understand things right, is the Devilbiss Plus gun an LVLP gun, as opposed to the GTI gun being an HVLP?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:30 am
Thanks Brian. Coming from someone with your experience that is a real compliment.

Rusty,
My garage is 30' x 40' with 10' ceilings and I wish it was bigger. :D
I have not noticed any overspray on the driveway other than when I painted some black parts right next to the garage door. Even that doesn't cling to the concrete very long probably due to the dust that collects on the concrete surface. You could always build a frame with furnace filters to place under the door and collect any overspray that way.
My car is huge and I still have room to walk around it in the booth so a mustang will be a piece of cake.
Just remember that you can never have enough lighting in your booth. I wish I had more in mine and I have started collecting light fixtures from yard sales in order to install some more. I may actually build a bank of lights on a portable frame that I can roll around in the booth to flood the area I am painting. I think a combination of regular white bulbs and the daylight bulbs would work real nice. The daylight bulbs seem to produce a truer color than the standard ones.
I don't believe the DeVilbiss Plus is a LVLP gun. Here is a link that explains the differences: http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/LVLP.htm
Personally, I am looking seriously at the Iwata LPH-400 as my next gun. I like the SATA NR-2000 as well but it really produces a cloud of overspray and I have heard the Iwatas are not near as bad and produce a great finish.
Please remember I am just a hobbiest and MartinSR, Han, Jimmo and others are pros so I always defer people to their advice over mine.
1968 Coronet R/T

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 pm
It sounds like overspray isn't the problem I thought it was. So with that little overspray in the air, at the risk of getting too OT here, can you use just a breathing mask or do you still need a fresh air breathing system?

Thanks for the link. I've been keeping my eyes open for a place to get supplies. But I'm still unclear now. If the Plus gun isn't LV and it's not HV, what category does it fall under? A used Plus gun is what I bought, along with aircaps and nozzles to operate as the HVLP GTI if I wanted. I have heard nothing but raves about the Plus gun.

Your car is bigger, and my other cars are bigger still. I have patiently waiting for paint or restoration a '68 Cadillac coupe, a '68 Cadillac convertible, and a '66 Buick LeSabre convertible. This Mustang is the smallest car I've owned in my life. After being used to the other cars in the garage, the Mustang looked like a toy in there. I just measured off your dimensions around a car and it looks like they ought to be good. Maybe another foot of width. You can never have enough room. The booth addition will have to wait until the Mustang is done anyway. I saw another guy's booth a few years ago where he had alternated 4' fluorescent and quartz halogen lights. He had them overhead as well as halfway up the walls. I thought that looked like a pretty good idea.
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies