1949 Ford F-1 Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 pm
GregStith wrote:Cool truck, thanks for sharing. I've got a fiberglass tilt front end so I've been researching linear actuator's for a while now. Can you possible get some closer pics of the actuator installation plus the info: brand, range of motion, etc.

Thanks.

Pretty sure it's an 8" stroke with a 200lb lifting capacity. I'll try and get a model # when I go back to work Tuesday. It was a cheap unit like $56 from someplace online mypushcart.com I believe.. I'm still amazed that it actually lifts the thing. Hinges are off an old econoline van.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:36 am
Wow, 200 lb. I'm looking at ones that are rated at 500lb - 1000 lb. I know the front end doesn't weigh that much but depending on how it's mounted I know that it can really multiply the force needed.

Thanks!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:18 pm
More fun work! The previous owner had a 79-81 Camaro front clip welded onto the frame and the front sits higher than I want. Don't want the expense of bags right now so I "Z'd" the frame. ( I guess that's what you could call it). Anyway I dropped it 4" so hopefully that will get it closer to the look I want.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm
I meant to get some pics of the frame mount for that linear actuator today, but forgot to take my camera to work today. We sent the frame off to be powdercoated today so I won't be able to get you a pic until it comes back. We flipped the radiator support mount upside down to attach the upper end of the actuator and there's just a steel pedestal mounted to the center of the frame for the lower mount.

The actuator is a chinese made 8" 200lb capacity unit that the trucks owner bought off ebay. It's nothing fancy but does lift the front clip.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:48 pm
Dropped it 4" from the original picture? It will be almost on the ground won't it?
Did you have to do the same to the back of the frame or was the car tilted up in front?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:03 pm

It's a 4" drop from this. I want the fender opening to come down over the tire some. I removed 2" lift blocks and 4 springs from the rear. It has 10 leafs to it. Should give me 3-3/12 inch drop in the rear. I'll have to wait till the cab and tilt front end go back on to see if I need to do anything else. I'm hoping to get the frame sandblasted soon.

Oh..and thanks Bloverby. If that actuator doesn't have a problem then the one I'm looking at should be fine.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 pm
More progress. I've got everything off of the frame. I degreased it and pressure washed 6 times. Hoping to get it sandblasted tomorrow with paint to follow soon afterward.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Whew! I'm whipped. I've been working on this most of the day. 15 bags of play sand and a nice clean sandblasted frame.

Last edited by GregStith on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am
I hear you on the being whipped part every time I media blast a large item I say to myself, "next time I am sending it out." :rotfl: :rotfl:

Never seems to happen though cause I hate parting with the money and I don't know if I can trust anyone to do it right. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:..Never seems to happen though cause I hate parting with the money and I don't know if I can trust anyone to do it right. :wink:

Ditto on both! :happy: I don't know what someone would charge to blast a frame. I've got $65 in sand, and like you said I know this was done to my standards.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects