1980 Jeep J10 Honcho restoration

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm
Hello Nightrain,

I am replacing a bunch of non visual bolts with stainless. I did consider and may use stainless for the exposed ones before I am done.

The hinge bolts are round head torqux bolts, The way I see it, the way the hinges are made, I need to paint them before assembly. I guess I can touch up the inside of the torqux socket if needed.

Hello Timbo,

I was told to use a red scuff pad on the inside of doors, hinges etc, because I am planning to use SS urethane.
Do you think that I should use a finer scuff pad? I bought three to play with, and they seem to blend in well with the finish 400 grit sanding that I have been doing.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
WH
Dad's J10, 1980 J10 Jeep Honcho,
Sport Side
Link to build pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/BBQ.WartHog/JeepJ10Honcho#

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm
red or grey will work fine for the "tooth" but paint directly on metal, does not cover too well and has more of a chance to chip off. Thats why i put the extra bite in them with the fine wire wheel and shoot them with epoxy or etching primer then paint them. you can easily dab on the paint on the bolt head. and just let it flow and dry good. since it will go on heavier than spraying them. :goodjob:
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 pm
Sorry for the slow response.
I prefer light grey but you have to put more elbow grease in it. But it won't show scratch swelling as easily as the red.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm
Great work, the pics are great! You must spend a lot of time taking pics LOL. I like J10s, boy were those trucks "real" trucks!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 pm
dainternetguy,

Yea I have taken a lot of pictures. It seems that I never have the camera with me when I need it. I finish my daily work and then grab a beer, and go back with the camera.

I have been trying to document the individual parts for the IFSJA, (International Full Sized Jeep Association.) A lot of people are asking about this part and that, but most parts that people take pictures of when asked, have so much grease and dirt on them, you cannot tell what they are.

I also have a daily log that I am keeping, and am adding the pictures into it for a record of work. (almost two hundred pages in Word to date.)

Thanks!
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm
I looked at the album several months ago. how many pics total do you actually have? Good documentation. :goodjob:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 pm
Hello Timbo,

I have 332 listed in Picasso at the present. I probably have twice that in my folder on the computer. I took multiple shots of the project during tear down so I would know where everything goes back when completed.

I have a couple hundred of other Jeeps with the tape stripes and brush guards, and wood railing, etc.

This is what I want the stripe layout to be, mine will be navy blue. I plan on putting the wood trim above the bed as this one shows. I am a wood worker by trade so it won't be a challenge.

These are the colors I plan on using.

Take care,
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 pm
It's been a long time since I seen one like that on the road. Rare around here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm
Hello Timbo,

They made only 1260+- of the Sport side bed versions between 1980 and 1983. All were Honcho's. (The 1981 red truck pictured above) (This is normally called the step side by most manufacturers.) (Sport side is only with the fiberglass fenders of the years mentioned, before that with the steel fenders, they were called Street side) They were all short beds, 7'. They made Thrift side Honcho's (Fleet side bed) I do not know the number, but only some of the Short bed Thrift side's were Honcho's.
( the brownish gold truck above is a Honcho, still a short bed.)

Mine is more unique, because it has a brow. The brow is a small overhang over the windshield. The 62 to 80 FSJ jeeps had a brow, 81 and up did not.

There might have been 400+- 1980 J10's with the brow, that were Sport side Honchos.

This is why you probably have not seen one in a while.
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm
That's going to be one beautiful truck! I own a 86 J20 that had some restoration work done before i bought it. Unfortunately the body work was rushed ( In my opinion) and some even smaller and more useless mirrors installed, which I will have to replace. Where did you get the replacement seat belts? I really like them, my stock tan belts are shot and doesn't have any support... they fall down between the seats quite a bit. Thanks..and again Great Job!
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects