1980 Jeep J10 Honcho restoration

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm
Well that must be the reason WH. More rare than I realized. Keep up the good work.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm
MrWilly,

The seat belts are from Wesco. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html

They had a world logo on the button, I made the AMC logo in Auto Cad and printed it onto a CD label, then clear coated it. We will see how long they hold up. The Jeep sticker came from a friend on the IFSJA board. They are not original, but as close as I could make them, with a bit more bling.

Thanks!
WH
Dad's J10, 1980 J10 Jeep Honcho,
Sport Side
Link to build pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/BBQ.WartHog/JeepJ10Honcho#

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 pm
That red one is beautiful! My buddy's dad used to have one about 20 years ago. It was purple (he said it was blue) with silver trim. They sold it when they moved away.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm
Hello all,

Any ideas as to how to clean the aging and stains from a 30 year old plastic windshield washer tank, and the plastic overflow tank?

I have made them better, using bleach water mix, but they still have the "old haze" associated with age.

I can buy a new reproduction washer tank, but it would look worse than my original against the overflow tank that sits right beside it. (overflow is not available)

Any help will be appreciated!
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm
WHSII wrote:Hello all,

Any ideas as to how to clean the aging and stains from a 30 year old plastic windshield washer tank, and the plastic overflow tank?

I have made them better, using bleach water mix, but they still have the "old haze" associated with age.

I can buy a new reproduction washer tank, but it would look worse than my original against the overflow tank that sits right beside it. (overflow is not available)

Any help will be appreciated!

I figured it was all the way through yellowed. But if it improved with bleach you might could wet sand it with 1200-1500. I figure its all the way through yellowed. If it works you can put some matte clear coat on it after applying adhesion promoter. I have never tried it but what other option do you have if you want any more improvement....just an idea.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm
Well all, I am still alive...

With back and knee problems, things have been slow.

I have at least 1/3 of the truck ready for a washing, degreaseing/ De-waxing, tacking and color.

The bed needs a day's work and it is ready.

The cab / front clip is in progress, hopefully by the weekend it will get it's first coat of 2K primer.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to make three color sprays, because of the area I have to work in.

I will be using 2K single stage, non metallic urethane, so from what I have read, it does not seem to be a major factor.

Been working with a friend who is doing a 70 Chevy pick-up, been brain pooling and working together to paint some cull panels "to get it right".

Had some bad work on the practice panels, had some good...

Just trying to get up the courage to pull the trigger on what is going to count...

Question:

When I get the bed sprayed with color, ( second spray), I would like to put the first spray into the bed and cover it with 6 mill plastic. I then can keep overspray off of the finished parts. I have planned to put stakes in the bed holes, and a spar, to lay the hood on, sealing the plastic where the stakes go through into the bed.

How long will Martin Senior SS urethane need to cure before I can safely tarp it with the 6 mill plastic?

I do not want to rush it, but things have drug out this year, and I am ready to see color, and put this puppy together.

With the parts laying in the shop, ready to spray, that will go in the bed to be covered, I have put off spraying them off for three weeks...

I guess I am scared! LOL

Thanks for your input!

WH
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 pm
WHSII wrote:...........
I will be using 2K single stage, non metallic urethane, so from what I have read, it does not seem to be a major factor..........

Hope the back is doing OK, WH. Life always gets in the way of projects like this and you just
have to roll with the flow.

With basic SS, any painting flaws will be easy to deal with, so I wouldn't worry too much and just jump
in with both feet and spray it.

As far as the plastic cover on new paint, be very careful. If the urethane isn't cured completely, fumes
might be released and react with the plastic and create a mess. Maybe you could place masking paper
between the plastic and new paint where they contact each other???

I like the color you plan to paint it. :goodjob:
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:20 pm
Thanks Night train,

That was my concern on the plastic.

How long would you think it would take to be safe to put masking paper over the bed rails without damaging the paint?

I am not going to spray the inside of the bed, it will get bed liner, so that should not be a problem putting finished items in it.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:46 pm
WHSII wrote:............That was my concern on the plastic.

How long would you think it would take to be safe to put masking paper over the bed rails without damaging the paint?...........

Ha ha I see no one is wanting to answer this for fear of being blamed for melted plastic marring
the new paint, lol.

Honestly, people mask off two tones almost immediately after the paint dries with no ill effects, so
you'd probably be safe after a day or two.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm
Well, I finally have the cab and front clip ready for primer.

Hope to shoot it tomorrow morning.

WH
Sport Side
Link to build pictures
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects