My C4 Corvette Restoration Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm
You should be able to build that driver side lower front quarter where you have the paint paddle using cloth mat, smc resin, glaze putty, and high build primer.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm
I think I could pull that approach off.
But with my present level of abilities, I'd be more comfortable stripping the panel off and building out the mounting surfaces (like on the other side).

Down the road it's always going to bother me when I look at it, if I don't fix it now.
Other people probably wont notice it, but I will. :knockout:

Just have to talk myself into it. :whoops:

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm
I here ya... if you have the stuff to do it your way better go for it or you will kick yourself...
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 pm
SuperL98 wrote:I think I could pull that approach off.
But with my present level of abilities, I'd be more comfortable stripping the panel off and building out the mounting surfaces (like on the other side).

Down the road it's always going to bother me when I look at it, if I don't fix it now.
Other people probably wont notice it, but I will. :knockout:

Just have to talk myself into it. :whoops:

Its the extra effort that sets a car apart from the others, and sometimes its just as difficult to decide what to do about a problem as it is to actually do it.
If it was easy, they would all be perfect. Nice job!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm
Couple of warm days, and I managed to epoxy prime all the lose body panels.
Very happy with the way the new water separator worked out, especially seeing I forgot to drain the compressor this time.
Funny that most of the water got trapped in the first pipe trap and not the filter assembly, shows that it was worth the extra effort to put that in.
The bottom desiccant beads started to turn from blue to pink, so that seams to be catching what is left of the humidity.
No water spitting is a good thing. :happy:

Really pleased with the front bumper, nice and flat, no waves (finally).

Next up is to take the doors apart, remove the mirrors and body molding, and start sanding the rest of the main body.

Starting to look at color charts, thinking I might go for a color other than the Dark Red Metallic.
Maybe a solid color would make it easier to paint the panels separate, but I would have to pull the doors.
If I stick with the DR Metallic, I would probably put the car back together and paint it all at once, but might get away with not painting the jams and inner doors.

And make a decision on that darn drivers side quarter panel. :rolleyes:

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 pm
Figured you would'a done had it finished on the quarter... :allgood:

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 am
timbo wrote:Figured you would'a done had it finished on the quarter... :allgood:

I sat and stared at it for a while, then decided to pull the rear bumper off instead and get it ready for painting. :cry:

Because it's lined up better than the other side (just to far in), I'm starting to think building the panel out (like you suggested) might be easier than pulling it off.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm
SuperL98 wrote:
timbo wrote:Figured you would'a done had it finished on the quarter... :allgood:

I sat and stared at it for a while, then decided to pull the rear bumper off instead and get it ready for painting. :cry:

Because it's lined up better than the other side (just to far in), I'm starting to think building the panel out (like you suggested) might be easier than pulling it off.

Don't sweat it you will do just fine and be done in time for the warm weather season!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 am
One of the few good things, about being older and retired, is that I have more time and patience than I had when I was young.
I'm determined to do this the right way, and if something doesn't look right or isn't coming out right I can stop and walk away from it for a while.
When I was younger, I would have tried to do this all in a week and it would of come out like crap. :rolleyes:

I'm really surprised with how flat this cheap (Summit) priming gun is laying down the epoxy.
Wasn't to impressed when I unpacked it and found all the "gunk" in it, but after cleaning and figuring out the right setting, it's working great for a $50 gun.
Seeing I'm using the epoxy more as a sealer than to build, the supplier gave me a bottle of Fast reducer to mix in for the cold weather.
He said it would flatten out the paint also, and it looks like it did just that.
Maybe I'll just spray some clear over it and have a black car. :happy:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 pm
Great progress!
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects