My C4 Corvette Restoration Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:34 pm
Next time won't be too far off when yours buddies all see it. HA!

Looks good!
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 am
With only two coats of clear be careful denibbing and sanding on that car.
Personally, I would just get the junk out and shoot another two coats of clear. At that point you decide whether to cut and buff or cut and flow coat.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:With only two coats of clear be careful denibbing and sanding on that car.
Personally, I would just get the junk out and shoot another two coats of clear. At that point you decide whether to cut and buff or cut and flow coat.

Yes, I put a third "wet" coat on last night and stopped, not to sure what to do next.

Spent all morning pulling down drop cloths and vacuuming up paint dust (it gets everywhere).

Pulled it out in the sun for a look over and to take some pictures.

It's hard to get a good picture of this color, really sparkles in the sun, but I think he put too much metallic in it.
Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Just two small drips in the clear coat on the bottom edge of the passenger door, and one on the passenger side (gill) panel, and some small dust pieces here & there.

I'm actually in a little bit of shock, after all the rushing around yesterday.
One minute I'm thrilled, and the next I think I could have done better (especially on the orange peel). :shocked:

Going to let it harden up for a few day's, and like I said, I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Sand it first and buff it out, sand and spray another coat, or just try to buff it to see how it looks.

I haven't even looked at the Cut, Buff & Polish forum yet, probably time to start reading.

Back out to the vacuum cleaner. :cry:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm
I think it looks great. How many coats of base?
One thing I noticed on my car is that the color seemed to darken after a while.
Here is freshly painted:

Here is a more recent photo. Of course the lighting makes a difference as well:

My point being that your car's color may deepen as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:43 pm
It (Deltron) covered good at two base coats but a big drop of sweat, either from my mask or from under my rubber gloves, dripped on the hood during the second coat.
I had to repair that spot and do an all over third coat.
So three base and three clear coats.

I realized, about half way into the second clear coat that spraying the clear was a lot like laying a nice weld bead.
I watched just behind the spray and if I went to fast I could see the orange peel, to slow and it would build up, just at the right speed I could see it lay down like glass.
I was trying to go way to fast on the first clear coat.

I agree on some paint getting darker with time.
Part of the reason I wanted to removed the body kit was the paint matched perfectly when I installed them, but twenty years later it looked like they had been painted with a different color.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm
I shoot 3 coats of base minimum because I want to be assured of "true color" coverage. If it is a lighter color I may have to shoot more coats to get the desired coverage.
To me there is just too much work involved getting to the painting stage to take a chance on 2 coats being good. (And let me add here that two coats can be enough with some paints and colors.) This is just my personal preference we are talking about so chill out you 2 coaters. :allgood:
I think your color will look deeper after the cut and buff as well. Once the clear is "clear" you will see the color more rich and vibrant.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 pm
Looks even better in the sun. I would cut and buff. You should have enough on it with three good coats of clear. I like to cut my different overall clears after 24 and less than 48 hrs.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 pm
SuperL98 wrote:
I realized, about half way into the second clear coat that spraying the clear was a lot like laying a nice weld bead.
I watched just behind the spray and if I went to fast I could see the orange peel, to slow and it would build up, just at the right speed I could see it lay down like glass.

I love that comparison :)

I've been watching this thread since the beginning and had no doubt you would do a great job. Research, learning and questions applied with common sense equals fantastic outcome.
Congrats!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 pm
I test fit the body back together to check for any color match problems.
Didn't spend too much time on alignment cause they are coming back off for the cut & buffing.
I was worried about the color match, painting the pieces off the car, but it looks good and I can't say enough about how even the Iwata laid out the flake in the paint.

These pictures look more like the color looks in person, sunny day with no clouds.

Going to take a lot of courage to go at this thing with sandpaper and a buffer

Part of me wants to just leave it alone :rolleyes:

But what fun would that be. :happy:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement, it helps motivate you when you are really sick of sanding & sanding & sanding. :goodjob:

The more I look it over, the happier I am with it.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:04 pm
Compared to where you started it looks like a completely different car. Mission accomplished.
1968 Coronet R/T

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects