My C4 Corvette Restoration Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm
Thanks,
I really never was a Corvette person either, but I got a good deal on this one.
I've always spent a ton of money trying to make slow cars fast and figured I'd try buying one that was fast already. :mrgreen:

I did a quick total on the last expenses.

Gallon and two Quarts color, two gallons clear, and all the supporting fluids $1180
Buffing compounds $76
1000 & 2000 grit wet sandpaper (50 sheets each) $62
Big drop cloth rolls and tape from Home Depot, for masking the garage $47
Door weather stripping and felts $132

That added to the previous balance ends up at $6532

It seams like a lot but.....
I bought the two extra quarts of color so I could repair any damage someday down the road, and I didn't get into the second gallon of clear (with three coats).
I bought the supplies (sand paper, masking tape, mixing cups & filters, etc.) in bulk sizes so I have a lot left over for the next projects.
The spray guns, water filters, breather mask, fans, etc. are onetime expenses.
Going to try to sell off the new fiberglass front bumper, rear spoiler and fender flares, to get a little of the $$$$ back.

Things I learned for the next project:

Instead of two generous coats of epoxy primer, I'd just seal the bodywork with epoxy and then prime it with a high build primer, like most of you do.
The epoxy was too hard to sand and too thin.
I'd also get a longer sanding board because the 16 inch one didn't span the waves in the SMC panels.

Covering the walls and floor with plastic and taping filters in the windows did a good job of controlling all the dirt and bugs
Most of the trash in the paint was from the gray long sleeve T-Shirt that I wore during painting.
I would buy a cheap painting suit next time.

I did a good job getting the spray gun speed and overlap right on the smaller panels, but I tried to rush across the hood (it's so big), and got most of the orange peel there.
I have to make a conscious effort to slow down on the bigger panels, and get the overlap right

I would add more steps to the wet sanding, and go to a finer grit than the 2000 I stopped at.
It took way to long to get the 2000 grit scratches out with the foam pad & buffing compound, and I'm still afraid of burning the edges with a wool bonnet.

That should be it for now, thanks for all the help, kind words, and encouragement along the way. :rockon: :rockon:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm
SuperL98 wrote:Got to shorten up those exhaust tips, now the old body work is gone. :whoops:

That was going to be my suggestion. :happy:
Details like that can really make or break a project.

Having owned a couple vintage Vettes myself, I know what you mean about working
with fiberglass and the related problems. You've done a super job and should be
very proud of your work.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 am
So glad to se you walked away with a plethora of knowledge. In the future a fender or small repaiir should be a walk in the park...ha!
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm
timbo wrote:So glad to se you walked away with a plethora of knowledge. In the future a fender or small repaiir should be a walk in the park...ha!

My next project is probably that old van in the back of these pictures.
Far less glamorous, but I'll get to rediscover my welding skills (or lack of). :happy:

Going to take some much needed recovery time first. :bored:

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:38 pm
Might could cut you some good ones and mail them....
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:50 am
timbo wrote:Might could cut you some good ones and mail them....

Thanks for the offer. :happy:

I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer and over the years I've had an inside line on local machine & sheet metal shops either closing or selling off old equipment.

I have a lot of sheet metal equipment (snips, breaks, shrinker, bench sheers, etc) and should be able to make the filler panels myself.

I'm just worried that there is more damage (hidden under the paint) than the van is worth the time to fix.

Might just be time for a new one, but these old (1995) Chevy AWD vans seam to run forever.
I pulled out all the rear seats years ago, and only use it for Home Depot runs, and picking up anything big. :whoops:

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm
This is not a paint job..........Is a love story.......
Congrats on such great accomplishment!!!
Corvette looks amazing!!!! :goodjob:
A gooD PaiNT JOB is
OnE BiG RuN.....!!!!!!!
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects