79 camaro z28 436sbc/4speed build.bright cobalt blue metalli

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:45 am
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
so heres my new project its a 79z28 original 350/4speed car,its mostly rust free just couple spots of surface rust,its gonna be a fun project,its now hugger orange,will be painted bright cobalt blue metallic,another hugger orange car just cant seem to get away from these.LOLoh well but not for long.i will be sanding the car to bare metal as all good paint jobs start from bare metal then i know whats going on and everything is compatable as i purchased the whole painting kit from primer to clear coat.this is my dream camaro, always wanted a blue camaro since my dad bought one new in 1979 as i was 9 years old and loved it when he gave me rides in it.since then its been my dream to have a nice blue z28 with a 4 speed and finally found the right one at the price i couldnt refuse.so now my project begins hope u all enjoy it.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm
need some oppinions would i be better off just getting diffrent bumper cover or fixing that ugly one,just has bunch of scratches nothing major,but the guy i bought the cover from has a black one in mint conditionjust sandit with 220 prime and im done.or would it be better to just fix this one.then i know it fits properly not sure if they changed at all thru the years but that one is from an 81.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 pm
If its just scratches then I would keep it. Looks in the pictures like a chunk is missing on the left side. Is that just an illusion?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 pm
yeah its just because the cover isnt completely bolted on only by a few screws,the guy had everything off it ready to take it to the body shop and then his son decided he didnt want to restore a car.they also sanded it to the plastic there so its dark in color.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 am
Be careful with it if you do remove it. It's quite a heavy frame in it and can crush the plastic and crack it. 78 - 81 should all be the same if you do go that route. Also you'll need to use an adhesion promoter if it's sanded down to the plastic.
Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm
thx rjuhasz thx for the warning about the heavy frame,surely wouldnt wanna crack it,was unsure if i needed the adhesion promoter or not as it will be sanded to bare plastic,the whole care will be sanded bare so i can start fresh again,on my engine compartment i wanna paint it body color but dont plan on sanding that bare or should i.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am
We had the car apart for years with the nose sitting on the ground and that's how I learned that about cracking it :whoops: If you sand the nose to plastic you'll need the adhesion promoter, if you're just scuffing the paint and spraying over it you don't need it. It's always preferable to sand to bare so you know for sure what you have but you may not have to. You need someone smarter than me to chime in on this. I think it came with laquer paint so I'm not 100% sure that would cause an adhesion issue if you sprayed over it? I know a guy that had his entire paint job delam and he blamed it on spraying over laquer primer, but that may not have been the actual problem?
Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:40 pm
yeah i plan on sanding the bumper cover to bare plastic dont want any adhesion problems,but the firewall and inner fenders im unsure if i need to sand those to bare metal and my subframe as they will be getting 3 coats of por-15,then epoxy primer and then 2k primer and lastly the body color.the subframe will stay por-15 black.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm
You're not planning on using POR15 on anything but the subframe right? and only if it's rusty. Check the tech sheet on it, I don't think you need 3 coats of it, I've never used more than 1.
Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm
i was gonna use it on my firewall and inner fenders but not such a good idea i take it,no there not rusted at all just wanted to prevent any rust in the future.maybe just prime and paint then,the only time i ever used por-15 was on my 80 camaro but i used the white and it took 3 coats to cover it.no my subframe doesnt seem rusty,what kind of paint should i use on that then.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects