79 camaro z28 436sbc/4speed build.bright cobalt blue metalli

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm
yeah im having a hard time deciding wich to do,i really wanna paint it body color just dont know how im gonna keep from scratching it and ,how im gonna keep it clean all the time,but sure would look nice body color,i think the black locks ugly too,i dont mind spending the money and the time to paint it body color just need to figure out a way to keep it loking good seeing this is my drag car.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 am
Throw a fender apron over it or a towel/blanket, whatever, really no different than not scratching the outside. Flat black isn't going to stay any cleaner so if you want it to look good in there you'll need to clean it just as much. If it's a drag car you should get some of that flexible magnetic sign material for behind the rear wheelwells. I'm sure you've seen them at the track, paint them body color and then take them off after the race, keeps all the rubber and ashfalt from spraying all over your nice paint.
Rob

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm
rjuhasz wrote:Throw a fender apron over it or a towel/blanket, whatever, really no different than not scratching the outside. Flat black isn't going to stay any cleaner so if you want it to look good in there you'll need to clean it just as much. If it's a drag car you should get some of that flexible magnetic sign material for behind the rear wheelwells. I'm sure you've seen them at the track, paint them body color and then take them off after the race, keeps all the rubber and ashfalt from spraying all over your nice paint.

Never thought of the magnetic sign trick... :goodjob:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:43 pm
yeah theres a few guys at the track that use that magnetic stuff,great idea,it would make me cry if i ruined my new paint job my first pass down the drag strip,i have decided to paint it body color,but im gonna use about 5 coats of clear coat to give it extra protection and the clear coat should clean up easily with my power washer.is one gallon of paint gonna do my whole car if i paint the engine bay or should i get another gallon.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm
test
Rob

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm
well that's weird, I haven't been able to post from home and that time it worked.

you don't need 5 coats of clear, that's just way too much by any stretch of the imagination. 3 coats is plenty, I don't know what product you're using but check the tech sheet, I can't imagine it saying more than 3 coats. Even if you're color sanding 3 should be plenty. How much you need depends on the product and the gun you use, conventional, RP, HVLP and LVLP all use totally different amounts of paint.
Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 pm
i usually only use 3 coats of clear,but never painted an engine bay body color,always used duplicolor engine enamel for the heat that occurs in the engine bay on a hot summer day,so i figured the extra coats would give it better protection from the heat,but wasnt sure if it was needed this my first try at this,.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 am
the epoxy primer im looking at gettingmixes 1:1 so if i get 1 quart that will make a half gallon would that be enough to spray 2 coats on my camaro,a gallon would make 2 gallons thats way more than i will ever need.im hoping the quart will do it what u guys think.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 am
The heat shouldn't be an issue, think of a black car in the Arizona sun, that's pretty darn hot. SS urethane on your engine works fine too so the engine bay itself isn't hot at all by comparison.

I'm not an expert at coverage, I seem to recall 7 oz (mixed) per panel, per coat as a guideline so half a gallon mixed isn't likely to cut it in my opinion. At least if you keep tabs on the primer useage you'll have some idea about what you'll need for paint, not that it works out exactly the same. I seem to go through clear at a higher rate than primer, could just be the way I spray it?
Rob

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 pm
bad436z28 wrote:the epoxy primer im looking at gettingmixes 1:1 so if i get 1 quart that will make a half gallon would that be enough to spray 2 coats on my camaro,a gallon would make 2 gallons thats way more than i will ever need.im hoping the quart will do it what u guys think.

2 qts sprayable should be plenty of epoxy as a sealer.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects