79 camaro z28 436sbc/4speed build.bright cobalt blue metalli

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm
If you want to cover por-15 with anything, you need their tie-coat primer first. I had problems with epoxy primer adhering to it on railings.
I used por-15 on parts of my engine compartment. Even on rusted areas, sticking to their instructions to the letter, I had rust bleed through it after only a few weeks.
Personally, I found it's best to follow the advice of some of the guys on these forums - remove all traces of rust, and coat the bare metal with epoxy primer. I did that under the hood where I used por-15. It's been more than a year, no bleed through of any rust.
On the railings. it wasn't any better than rustleum.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 pm
bad436z28 wrote:i was gonna use it on my firewall and inner fenders but not such a good idea i take it,no there not rusted at all just wanted to prevent any rust in the future.maybe just prime and paint then,the only time i ever used por-15 was on my 80 camaro but i used the white and it took 3 coats to cover it.no my subframe doesnt seem rusty,what kind of paint should i use on that then.

POR15 doesn't prevent rust, it converts it or stabalizes it, or at least that's what it's supposed to do so there isn't any point in putting it on good bare metal. Epoxy primer has zinc in it so that's the best bet for good bare metal. All metal has to be squeeky clean and scuffed for adhesion.
Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm
rjuhasz thx for the quick reply,u just saved me a lot of money and wasted time,i will surely do the epoxy primer on the bare metal for sure,im not gonna sand the firewall and inter fenders to bare metal im just gonna apply 2 coats of 2k primer and paint it body color,i thought por-15 prevented rust but wasnt sure im glad u clarified that,it saved me alot of work.theres no rust in the engine bay as far as i can see,what kind of paint should i paint my subframe with,maybe just some black epoxy primer what u guys think.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 pm
thx edpol i surely wouldnt want any bleed thru on my newly painted engine bay,that would make me a little upset,and with my luck it wouldnt do it until i had my engine all installed then i would be upset,then i would have to start from scratch again.not something i car to do,so for me there wont be any por-15 on my car,thx guys im glad i asked first.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm
bad436z28 wrote:rjuhasz thx for the quick reply,u just saved me a lot of money and wasted time,i will surely do the epoxy primer on the bare metal for sure,im not gonna sand the firewall and inter fenders to bare metal im just gonna apply 2 coats of 2k primer and paint it body color,i thought por-15 prevented rust but wasnt sure im glad u clarified that,it saved me alot of work.theres no rust in the engine bay as far as i can see,what kind of paint should i paint my subframe with,maybe just some black epoxy primer what u guys think.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on a 65 Stang vert, engine bay body color, the Mopar guys were the only ones that got that right. I am stripping it all to bare but even if I wasn't I'd spray a coat of epoxy primer on all of it before the high build primer, you can't go wrong doing that. For my subframe I'm spraying epoxy and a low price single stage urethane.

Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 am
rjuhasz nice project u got there always liked them mustangs, im thinking im gonna strip mine bare too,then apply epoxy primer then my 2k primer then i know where i stand and wont have any worries about my paint adhesion later down the road,still unsure what paint to use on my subframe maybe some cheap flat black single stage rat rod paint.dont really like the gloss black.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 am
Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. I'm using Delfleet flat black on the outside of the inner fenders and the bottom of the car. It's part of the PPG line of products for commercial vehicles so it's quite inexpensive. You may find something even cheaper if you're in the States, I'm in Canada, we don't have all the same choices here. No Kirker, no **********, etc., just Dupont, PPG, HOK and Siikens as far as I can tell.

Print the tech sheets on whatever you end up using so you know what the topcoat window is between products
Rob

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 pm
no internet?
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm
yeah but i have been super busy i just found out my dad has cancer and taking him to a bunch of bloodwork and doctors,sorry.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 pm
rjuhasz wrote:Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. I'm using Delfleet flat black on the outside of the inner fenders and the bottom of the car. It's part of the PPG line of products for commercial vehicles so it's quite inexpensive. You may find something even cheaper if you're in the States, I'm in Canada, we don't have all the same choices here. No Kirker, no **********, etc., just Dupont, PPG, HOK and Siikens as far as I can tell.

Print the tech sheets on whatever you end up using so you know what the topcoat window is between products

not you buddy. but sorry to hear that. Been there myself.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects