Restoration of 1997 Tacoma - Dodge Viper Blue Pearl

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am
This is my first post here. I found this site by stumbling on it when using google to find some stuff. I like what I see here, so I thought I would share my own project. It is well on the way, and is actually nearing primer phase. So here is my story:

I bought this truck from my brother-in-law in August of 2011 for a good price. She was in good shape at the time, and the only real damage other than the usual "older truck" damage was the left side. My youngest daughter learned to drive in this truck, and one day when running it up the long driveway (the driveway is just over 1/4 mile long gravel) she got a little jumpy, and accidentally caused the truck to decide it was time for the left side to meet the gravel! The end result you can all guess. So I knew that I was going to be doing some work on the left side eventually.

I had taken some classes on basic body repair and refinishing, and have completed the initial year-long program, so I was pretty confident that I can do this. I am no pro, but I did a few jobs in the program that have turned out very well, including a Brandywine red 80 Monte Carlo that I did. I wish I had photos of that job. I was VERY happy. My instructor even said when I was done that it almost looked like a candy. (swollen head syndrome)

Flash forward to February 2012, and the engine at extremely high miles has given up it's life. The block was cracked, so I decided that since I was going to replace the entire engine, this would be a good time to do the body repair! What actually got me to decide to make this thread was reading a comment a few people made about paint color. I was happy to see comments about the color that I had not only decided long ago to use, but actually have the paint here already. It is the Dodge Viper Blue Pearl code PBE! I love the color and knew that was going to be the change from Black. I had originally got the paint brand "Restoration Shop" because for a first time in the public world job, I didn't want to use the expensive stuff. Well I recently found out my new GF used to work for Dupont, and has promised me she can get the the PPG 19282 Dodge Viper Blue Pearl for free. Can't pass up free!!

I know the pros here already know this, but for those who don't, do not think that this color is an actual "pearl" paint. It isn't. That is just the name of the color. I am far from skilled enough to do pearls!

So I will post my plans and processes, and I would LOVE to hear from the pros and amateurs alike about suggestions and thoughts. I am always open to them!

So the first thing I did was wash the crap out of the truck. I cleaned the outside and inside, including the wheel wells and frame, as well as the inner areas of the fenders. The bed came off (since I am changing color from black to blue, I wanted to do as much as possible to "hide" the color change from being obvious) and I began the repairs. I won't get into the details, but all removable glass and trim were removed, weatherstripping removed, and the dents that needed to be pulled, were pulled, the dings were filled, the dents ground to bare metal and repaired. (I made sure to not allow for more than the tiniest amount of thickness of the filler. I hammered and pulled all dents so that the filler would be as thin a coat as possible. It has taken me almost 2 months of work to get to the point I am today. The process went a lot like this: Sand, fill, let dry, file, sand.....grumble, groan, sand, fill, let dry, sand....grumble, grumble, SAND, fill, let dry, sand....you get the picture. I know I won't get perfection. I don't expect it, but I DO want the best job that my skill level will allow. I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, and have been for 20 years, so I DO know cars, I just have a small to moderate knowledge of painting and body repairs.

The below photos are over a time period from start to current. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions.

Below is a pic of the home, built spray booth. She has a puller fan that draws filtered air from outside, and on the opposite end an additional fan that helps draw the inside air out, and thru additional filters. It's very basic, and will be used in the future for my spray in bedliners that we will be doing.

If you cant go under it, around it, or over it, You need BIGGER TIRES!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 am
:welcome:

Looks good, nice project - keep us updated on how it goes. I like the booth :-)

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am
Thanks. It looks pretty simple, but functions well. Only thing I wish I has was humidity control, and also heat for the winter. When I start doing the spray-in bedliners the temperature is just as important as when painting.

Do you have any suggestions on my procedure or on anything you saw in the photos?
:D

I am looking at being ready for sealer this next week. I am using "Kustom Shop" brand 2k eurethane primer. According to the spec sheet, I use 3 parts primer, 1 part hardener, then 1 part reducer to make the sealer. It suggests making just one wet coat.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:25 pm
You go Marion...my stomping grounds....keep us updated. :clap:

:pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 pm
Lookin good. Love the tacos. What brand of spray in bed liners are you going to be using?? Iv sprayed metric tons of polyurea.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am
The product I use is Speedliner brand. I love their product because of how easy it is to prep, mix, spray, and clean up. I also love how you can color code it to whatever you want, and the media is impregnated with Kevlar.

So the truck is now in the booth, and the final prep and masking has been completed. Saturday the 19th of May I will tack her down, spray the sealer, then lay on a few coats of the high-build primer. Next week I will smooth out the primer with 400 grit and get her ready for paint. The paint is on its way from my girlfriend. She came through as I knew she would :worthy: with a full GALLON of the Viper Blue Pearl from Dupont . She has it already reduced and ready to spray. All I have to do is add the metal flake. :clap:

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:44 pm
OK! Well we now have 3 coats of high-build epoxy primer applied! I will post photos tomorrow when I have the chance. We also have our Dupont Dodge Viper blue pearl paint in-hand. Picked it up over the weekend. Already reduced and ready to spray!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 am
Well here are the pictures after applying 3 coats of high-build. Overnight drying and will be sanding today to smooth out and look for imperfections. I have already located a few spots where material spattered, but I think it will sand out easy enough.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 am
Looking good! Great progress.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:13 pm
Thank you sir! :wazzup:
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects