1985 Ford Tempo DIY

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 pm
where ever it is rusting through primer take it all the way down to metal and shoot the whole bare panel with epoxy primer (aka epoxy sealer) this will prevent any further rust, provided you remove it all before hand. this can be done panel by panel.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:30 pm
Hey TragedyEntrals, I'm about to get back to work. The tape got cooked onto the frame and I'm going to be using rubbing alcohol and went to buy lots of elbow grease at the hardware store to get it all off.

For the sealing epoxy primer, I'm going to try using it only on the rusted spots, going down to bare metal and spraying a few layers of epoxy primer on it, and then painting over. I'm working outside, will I need to get the paint over the 3 epoxy layers on the same day?

Thanks

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm
Okay guys, I need to ask you, I'm about to buy some epoxy primer, what brand would you suggest, and what do you think of this one?

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/vis ... 491-10.pdf

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:18 pm
Hey guys, I finally bought the epoxy Primer, this is what I got.

Do you all think this will be enough to treat the rust spots on the right hand side?

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:49 am
You could put two coats on the whole car with that much. It will not treat rust though. :splat:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 pm
timbo, guys, what tools would I need if I wanted to spray this onto spots on the car?

Also, I'm treating the rust by shaving it down with a sander and an angle-grinder. I'm putting the epoxy primer over that. Basically I'm following TragedyEntral's advice:

"where ever it is rusting through primer take it all the way down to metal and shoot the whole bare panel with epoxy primer (aka epoxy sealer) this will prevent any further rust, provided you remove it all before hand. this can be done panel by panel."

For now I'm not sure how to spray this onto the body.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:15 pm
You should blast the rust. Sandpaper and a wire wheel will not be very much for success in durability and long term integrity of rust repair. I will let Coronet chime in on the ********** epoxy.

I have shot kirker, matrix, and dupont epoxy.... unreduced with a 1.8 tip HVLP FLG3. Shot as reduced non-sanding sealers I prefer 1.4 tip Jet90.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:03 am
it is also better to use a sanding disc on the grinder than grinding wheels. grinding wheels build up a lot of heat( did ya get any blue metal?) than sanding discs and can cause a LOT of problems.
since the rust came through the primer that ya sprayed before, it could have come romt he back side of the panel. it would be highly suggested to get to the back side of the panel.

on fillers, if a water resistant filler like metal to metal, dynaglas, or tiger hair isnt put down first to fill holes through the metal,, then the filler is gonna be like a sponge, suckin up moisture and causing problems down the road( i found out the very hard, expensive way).
i use fillers like rage or evercoat lightweight body filler after that. it is best to spread it out way beyond the repair, and i have sometimes skimmed a whole door/panel, and break out long blocks to do the sanding.

dont give up! yer gonna learn a lot on this one of what works and what doesnt.
for me what the vehicle looks like in a year is more important than the day i hand the keys back to the owner and has taught me a LOT about how valuable patience is.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:20 pm
tomsteve, I used a wire braid like this one on my anglegrinder.

I had it down to the bare metal, no rust, with few minor specs of what seemed to be rust (very very small). I wish I took pics but I will on my next round of work on the right side doors.

Thanks for the encouragement, it helps.

About the body filler, I had a small hole on the edge of one of the doors, I filled it with body filler, it created like a shell of 3/16th of an inch thick by 2 inches high and 1 inch long. I put cheap primer over it and painted it (front and back), do you think that will do the sponge effect you were mentioning? (you can kind of see it on the bottom right of the back driverside door):

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Hi guys, I have been struggling to purchase new material, but I had to get back to work on the car in some way because I was nervous the rust would creep up on me once again before winter came.

There have been two incidents lately. The first is that there was a case of leaving masking tape on the car and it baked. I had it on for some three months before I decided I had to get rid of it, but it wasn't coming off. I didn't know what to do, so my friend suggested rubbing alcohol. I understood hydrogen peroxyde. :) So, learning the hard way, I got to see the effects of that mistake:

Spillage closeup

Spillage angle

Tape residue on trunk

Tape residue on window

The second issue is that the rust spots are getting worse :(

Back door

Front door front

Front door back angle

Front door back closeup
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects