Project Kraken. 91 mustang

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm
Getting closer on the rear quarter repair work.

Getting it roughed in

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm
Jack of all trades.

Both front fenders are on the list to 2k prime tomorrow. Then it's guide coat and more sanding...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 pm
More 2k primer....

Laid down smooth

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 pm
The new big rims "Pro Touring" fad is OK :rolleyes:
But it's still cool to see a car with an old school blower sticking through the hood. :happy:
And being in your twenties is the time to do it.

Looks like it's going to be an awesome ride. :goodjob:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 pm
Looky what I got. :)

Here is the rear quarter that was torn to ****. Getting real close to finished on the front half.

And painting one of my sons toys with the grabber blue. Just a quicky but it'll do. Will clear coat tomorrow.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 pm
It's slowly getting there. Ive spent about 12 hours on the rear 1/4 already(including welding) and still probably need another 12 to get it just right. I'm no pro.. I'm having to reshape/blend 4 body lines and it's a pain in the ****. Wouldn't have been so bad had the previous owner not "repaired" with a hammer and 1" of filler.

I'm not a paint and body guru by any means but I won't stop until it's perfect. You can still see the front wheel arch needs more definition in the body lines. The rear needs more filler in a low spot, need to finish shaping the lower lip, and blend part of the filler. Then it's time for block sanding and guide coat over and over again

Got a little more work done today.

First coat of 2k primer getting blocked out

And the second coat. You can see the 2k primer is doing it's job. Alot less low/high spots. 2 more round and it should be ready for color.

And a little more work on the rear 1/4. Still have a low spot to fill in the rear and a little more shaping of the rear arch but glazing putty will finish the rest. Getting closer everytime.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm
I would suggest some more pulling before anything else. When you are starting out with filler rough the qtr lips with 40 then 80 grit. Looks like a good panel for some poly primer.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 am
timbo wrote:I would suggest some more pulling before anything else. When you are starting out with filler rough the qtr lips with 40 then 80 grit. Looks like a good panel for some poly primer.

I've pulled as much as I feel I can without distorting the body lines to have a reference of where I need to shape but someone with more experience could probably get it much closer before hitting it with filler. I'll likely end up replacing this whole 1/4 with a donor in the future. I don't exactly enjoy having so much filler back there. While no one would ever know when I'm done, I will. And it will eat at me...

This is my first real dive into body work. My area of expertise is sheetmetal/chassis fabrication. This is a whole new world to me. :shocked:

Here is what I started with when I uncovered this mess. :flatten: The whole 1/4 from tail light to door was body filler. At least now I've Removed it all and I'll likely end up with less than 1/4 the filler then the previous owner used. I cut out the worst spots and welded in good sheetmetal, used about 150 plugs pulling everything as straight as I feel comfortable with, and used a hammer/dolly on the fender lip.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm
Looks like you have came a long way.
:clap:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 pm
Outstanding car you have there. I have always loved those coupes. I sold a 93 a couple years ago that I would give 3 times what I sold it for to have it back now. Please be sure to keep us posted on this.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects