Project 1980 Camaro Z28

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm
IMAG0362.jpg
IMAG0380.jpg
IMAG0377.jpg
IMAG0379.jpg
IMAG0376.jpg

Well I picked up a New Project car. Its for the wife. Its a 1980 Camaro Z/28. Its a pretty solid car. Its got a little rust here and there. 1 Through hole in the driver fender. The passenger floor and trunk was repaired with some sheet metal. But other then that the car is in decent shape.

This winter I will be taking it down to bare metal. Alot of the paint chips are deep. Expecially on the rood and drivers door jam. I will be coming back to update and I will definetally be on here searching old threads for tips and tricks.
1979 Cutlass Hurst/Olds
1979 Ford F-150 4x4 Short Bed
1980 Camaro Z-28 Project Car for Wife

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer"

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:36 pm
Man, I love those cars! Very Jealous!!! You gonna put all the decals back on it? And is it an original black car?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 pm
Ya, I've always had a crush on this car. I'm glad I was able to buy it off my friend. I bought it for the wife and she loves it. She wants all the original emblems, but the lower decal she doeant want. And yes it is originally a triple black car. Black exterior, black interior and black rims. She wants.it painted.metallic black. I will be painter inner fenders and firewall to match.
1979 Cutlass Hurst/Olds

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:09 am
Be sure to take lots of pics! :clap:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am
I did one of those for my daughter years ago, an RS not a Z but same car. Worst thing about them is the doors, they weigh a ton so the hinge bushings are always shot, even the hinge itself was on mine, had to replace it. It's also a really wide car so it's quite a stretch to paint the roof if you aren't tall, the doors stick way out from the roof.

Here's apic of the one I did for some extra motivation, I didn't have the back glass trim in yet on the 2nd pic

Rob

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Be sure to take lots of pics! :clap:
I will try. I usually get into something and forget to take pictures. It like those TV shows they start sanding a car and come back from commercial and its all painted and assembled.
rjuhasz wrote:I did one of those for my daughter years ago, an RS not a Z but same car. Worst thing about them is the doors, they weigh a ton so the hinge bushings are always shot, even the hinge itself was on mine, had to replace it. It's also a really wide car so it's quite a stretch to paint the roof if you aren't tall, the doors stick way out from the roof.

Here's apic of the one I did for some extra motivation, I didn't have the back glass trim in yet on the 2nd pic

Thats is a nice looking car. That sure does give me some motivation....Luckily he already did door pins. Thats why the driver door and fender is all chipped up. You can see it in the picture.
1979 Cutlass Hurst/Olds

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm
What do you guys think, should I take it all the way down to bare metal. I know of just a couple small problem areas with rust. But does the rest of the car have to. It appears to be the original paint. Also I don't know if its a lacquer paint....would I be able to cover that with a urethane BC/CC?
1979 Cutlass Hurst/Olds

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:24 pm
Im no expert, but I don't believe they were still using lacquer then. Most likely you would be ok just sanding it down and epoxy priming to seal the old paint. Very hard to say without seeing the car in person. The fact that it has factory paint still in decent shape is a big plus.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Im no expert, but I don't believe they were still using lacquer then. Most likely you would be ok just sanding it down and epoxy priming to seal the old paint. Very hard to say without seeing the car in person. The fact that it has factory paint still in decent shape is a big plus.

From the research Ive done some cars were and some weren't. But I read is you just take a rag with Lacquer Thinner on it and if the paint comes up then its lacquer...Ill have to try that. Once I get it in the garage I will start taking mirrors and trim and such off. Then I will access how bad the body is and if It needs to go to bare metal or not.
1979 Cutlass Hurst/Olds

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 pm
hurst1979olds wrote:
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Im no expert, but I don't believe they were still using lacquer then. Most likely you would be ok just sanding it down and epoxy priming to seal the old paint. Very hard to say without seeing the car in person. The fact that it has factory paint still in decent shape is a big plus.

From the research Ive done some cars were and some weren't. But I read is you just take a rag with Lacquer Thinner on it and if the paint comes up then its lacquer...Ill have to try that. Once I get it in the garage I will start taking mirrors and trim and such off. Then I will access how bad the body is and if It needs to go to bare metal or not.

Could be laquer or enamel without hardener.

:wink:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects