1991 BMW custom fiberglass wide bodied, supercharged beast

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:42 pm
I've been lurking here for some time now, probably a fair 3 years or so. I've posted it elsewhere, but thought it fitting to finally share my project where I've done a tremendous amount of reading and uh give back?

Anyway, the project is a 1991 BMW 318iS. I purchased it Aug'07 with the intention to just daily drive it, leave it alone, and save money for what I really wanted. Who here started a project the same way? lol.

Needless to say save money became spend spend spend. By Dec'07 I had put together a full factory M-Technic II kit, which is made from PUR-GF, and quite rare in the US. All original OE parts imported from Germany/UK with the exception of the front lower facsia, which was a fiberglass reproduction as I intended to modify it with a large intercooler opening for a forced induction setup I'd dream to have someday.

By Aug'08 I'd done a great deal of work to it. I had replaced the anemic 1.8L 134HP M42 engine with a 3.2L 240HP S52 from a 99 M3. I had fit some sharp 3 peice Work wheels to it, and lowered it on coilovers. I'd also ditched the blue cloth interior in favor of a clean tan vinyl sport interior. Not bad for the first year, but much more would come...

In Mar'09 I had purchased an Active Autowerke STG2 Supercharger kit and installed it on the car. The car stayed pretty much unchanged for the next year while I enjoyed the 400rwhp/350rwtq in my 2600lb daily driver. Even with the stickiest DOT tires I could fit under the stock arches (Dunlop Starspecs in 235/40R17) the rear tires still had a really desperate time coping with that kind of output. I tried to manage it stepping down to a 3.15 final gear from a 3.73 but other than the increased MPG it still wasn't enough.

In Nov'09 I sold my precious MT2 kit, and purchased a newly remolded token 80's drug dealer widebody "kit" It was originally made by Folger in the late 80's / early 90's. I eagerly tacked half of it on the car to see just how much more room I'd have for big rollers.

The factory original configuration of the front bumper was really dated IMO, ugly, and lacked provision for my huge FMIC. It also was too wide and needed to be narrowed/sectioned to fit. Out came the airsaw and I revised its fit and form more to my taste.

It would stay like this until more recently when I took the airsaw to it again, dramatically changing it and making it uniquely my own. More on that later....

The kit is really "big" and it made the stock C-Pillar look so dinky and out of place. As luck would have it I knew a local guy parting out a E30 M3 that had been rear ended. It was a low kit and the M3 specific roof/c-pillar section survived. A little wheeling and dealing later I showed up with a sawzall and had my way with the M3. Here lay the spoils.

After spending what seemed like days drilling out at least a hundred spot welds I was left with JUST the M3 specific sheet metal. BMW designed the M3 over the existing E30 chassis so this would literally drop into place on my shell and be tack/plug welded into place.

The E30 M3 also utilized a higher trunklid made of fiberglass, this placed the aggressive rear wing higher up and into cleaner air. The higher trunk lid combined with the increased rake of the M3 specific C-Pillar/window section really balanced out the rear of the car and helped aerodynamics as much as you can for a flying brick. Pictured above the wheels had finally come in from CCW. Similar to my previous work wheels, I was now sporting 18x13.5 rear and 18x11 front.

Shortly after that photo was taken my first marriage fell apart and we went our separate ways. We are still good friends, and realize it was for the better. Regardless moving out on my own meant many more bills and the E30 took up prime dust collection space in the garage for the next 6 months or so while I recuperated from the financial blows.

In those 6 months not much happened besides the before mentioned dust collection. I did source an original DTM wing with a medium height carbon fiber flap. What it lacks in downforce it makes up for in sheer drag. Here you'll see it with the rear bumper cover removed, being modified to clearance the dual exhaust. Note the fat 335/30R18 rear PS2's.

Here is a sexy upskirt shot showing the delicious little bits under there, including the completely mandrel bent stainless steel tig welded exhaust fabricated just for this car. I did everything but the TIG work myself.

and here the separate sections, joined by vbands. Sorry no shots of the headers.

As mentioned earlier I would go after the front bumper with an airsaw again, along with quite a bit of fiberglass to reshape the openings on the side, add a center cutout, and generally make it uniquely my own. While there are very very few other E30's out there with this kit, none have a bumper anything like this!

Another year or so would pass while the car collected dust again, I'd move two more times, tried and failed a new relationship, then met and married my current wife. We bought a house about 10 months ago and lately its been time to get this project done already!

Here she is last week in her new home.

Over this past weekend I worked on the door to quarter panel lines to make the panels match perfectly.

Quite happy with the final fitment, and so is the daily driver in the background.

Door jams have been roughed out since the kit was originally bonded to the car years prior. I decided to finish this jam that weekend as well.

While the door was off I found it much easier to sand on while laying on the fender stand. After a quick blocking I was amazed at how wavy the panel was. I'm going to need to take stock in Evercoat Metalglaze before I'm done.

Here is the same door once sanded back nice and straight. Ready for 2K primer surfacer and more sanding.

That quick and dirty overview of the last 6 years gets you up to speed as of last night. Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 pm
A lot of nice work....I'm looking forward to the updates and seeing the progress. Hopefully its not another 6 years!

Cheers

Lee
69 Mustang 302 Coupe
Currently in "Rust Removal" stage
www.jobslick.com or http://www.facebook.com/JobSlick

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 pm
I certainly hope its not 6 years before its done! My personal goal is to have the bodywork 99% done by tax time so I have money to paint the car. I intend to paint the engine bay, trunk myself but let a shop with a proper booth and adequate air supply paint the car. My garage is small, the HOA isn't going to like it converted to a booth for a weekend, and my 15gal DeWalt compressor is just big enough to be OK with panel and peice meal painting, but not much else.

I shot the door with 2K primer surfacer this evening. This will be blocked out again before shooting one final application and rehanging it on the car this weekend.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:30 pm
Finished sanding the door this morning, and sprayed out a final coat of 2K primer. Layed out pretty smooth for a high build primer through a 1.4 tip. I think moving to a medium to a slow reducer (90+ in the garage) helped it to lay out much better than last time. Primer used was PPG Shopline JP202

After that I spent the remainder of today's time on the fender. Carefully smoothing out the lip which looked wavy looking down it, precisely fitting the fender to the bumper cover and the sideskirt. Final alignment of the fender to the door with a touch more filler will happen when the door is dry enough to be set back on the hinges.

Making progress feels good, great even. I just wish it wasn't so hot in the garage.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:02 pm
Looking good
69 Mustang 302 Coupe

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:18 pm
Progress has been hindered by lots of sidework, and my next two weekends will be taken up with sidework too... but I'll see what I can make on with with the car an hour or two an evening.

I got the bodywork done on the fender and shot it with 2K primer. It still needs a good blocking with 180 then another coat of primer. Quite a few little pinholes, not quite shaped right spots that need attention and are obvious now that its primed.

Anyway, pictures.

[url="http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/JSarette/media/E30/null_zps2f471661.jpg.html"]
[/url]

[url="http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/JSarette/media/E30/null_zps94045a4b.jpg.html"]
[/url]

Woot woot.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:20 pm
This weekends major sidework canceled, so yay more time to work on my project.

I worked mainly on the sideskirt and quarter panel today. Sanding down the yellow primer on the sideskirt with a long block revealed a ton of low spots. I'll get after filling those in and blocking back out tomorrow.

Spent several hours on the rear fender flare, making it round and straight. Finite fitment at the sideskirt and bumper are finished.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am
I plan on painting the engine bay and trunk myself, and I'll most likely us PPG Deltron base/clear for that.

After much indecision as to what to do yesterday.... I decided to start on a project I've been.. well.. not looking forward to.

Relocating the tail lights is something I've wanted to do for awhile now. I cut donor sheet metal from a parts car nearly two years ago for this purpose. I decided to break out the air saw and just do it.

It turned out pretty well. I still have to box in one small corner to complete it, but for now... I'm plenty tired and will leave that for sometime this week.

New tail light bucket stitch welded into place, and bonded to the quarter. This effort pushed the tail light as close as possible to the quarter, about 1.5" wider per side. Looks much better than the huge gap there was before.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:20 pm
Not seeing much love around here :bored:

Very exciting progress throughout this past week, although not shown I put an hour or two in each night. This weekend I was swamped with sidework. Paying work always takes priority, but today I managed to dedicate to the E30.

I got the tail light pocket finished, gave the quarter a initial blocking, then layed down 3 coats of high build 2k primer on the whole area. Its starting to almost look like a car!

The tail light looks great pushed out to the quarter, it fits the car so much better.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 pm
Looking good!
69 Mustang 302 Coupe
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects