New Member, First paint Job! Very Pic Heavy

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:15 pm
Hey guys, this is my first post on here so let me introduce myself. My name is Kevin, I'm 26 years old, and I reside in the Chicago burb of Streamwood. I am a Natural gas inspector for the state of IL by day car enthusiast (turbo 4 cylinders to be specific) by night. I decided to tackle my first paint project last summer, and boy it was a lot more involved than I ever imagined, but is coming along quite nicely after a lot of reading and watching videos. The car is a 91 eagle talon tsi AWD. When I purchased it, it was pretty clean for a '91, had some minor dings/ dents but it was this grandpa looking champagne color that I just couldn't stand, so I decided to do a complete color change on it. I decided to paint it BMW Alpine white and keep the two tone theme it came with a black roof and spoiler. As of now I am at the point where I am ready to final block sand and spray the car. I have painted all the undersides of the hood and hatch and I jammed all the openings. During this process I learned the hard way to not use cheap painters plastic to mask, I had paint flaking off and I had sand and re-shoot the door jambs. I know I will probably get flamed for this but all of the products I used were TCP's restoration shop- Base , and also there "kustom Shop" Clear and 2k Primer. Body filler was 3m Marson gold. Honestly, I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it sprays and looks nice. I had mostly full coverage in two coats. The guns I am using are Devilbis starting line. Respirator is an MSA comfo classic. Like I said this is my first time ever spraying anything so any suggestions are welcomed. Here's some pics.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 am
Looking good...I'll keep watching for updates.
69 Mustang 302 Coupe
Currently in "Rust Removal" stage
www.jobslick.com or http://www.facebook.com/JobSlick

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am
69SlowResto wrote:Looking good...I'll keep watching for updates.

Thanks, I am going to guide coat and final block sand the body next weekend. I will keep this page updated. Quick question, I have a tiny dry spray spot on the roof, I laid down 3 decent coats of clear, will a dry spray spot buff to a shiny finish? I plan to cut and buff the whole car.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:06 am
:clap: Well done on taking on a huge product, it looks great! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have been thinking of re-spraying my own car as well, after I gather a bit more experience. I just wanted to know roughly, how much all of it cost you? It doesn't have to be exact, just so I can know how much to save for if I was going to undergo this myself.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm
CandyMUFF wrote::clap: Well done on taking on a huge product, it looks great! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have been thinking of re-spraying my own car as well, after I gather a bit more experience. I just wanted to know roughly, how much all of it cost you? It doesn't have to be exact, just so I can know how much to save for if I was going to undergo this myself.

Honestly I don't really know! If I had to guess I would say around $1500.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 am
I have a 2gb Eclipse I painted myself, so I am instantly intrigued by your project. What is the color you used on the top? Looks black with a brown metallic or something? I assume you are going for a the Panda paint job?
:goodjob:
Have you seen this 1g on dsmforums?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appeara ... oduct.html

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:52 pm
bbenson04 wrote:I have a 2gb Eclipse I painted myself, so I am instantly intrigued by your project. What is the color you used on the top? Looks black with a brown metallic or something? I assume you are going for a the Panda paint job?
:goodjob:
Have you seen this 1g on dsmforums?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appeara ... oduct.html

Nice to see another dsmer on here! Yes going for the panda look, its just plain ol black and the white is bmw alpine white.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 am
It's looking good. Turned out much better than my first paint job thats for sure! Yes a dry spot will buff out. They just take a while to get fully blocked out so they don't have the texture anymore. Just take your time! Use lots of water and fresh paper. And MAKE SURE YOU BUFF IT ENOUGH. I've seen so many crappy polish jobs, get it out in the light at different angles. if you see sanding marks in it still, use finer paper and sand it again to level those, then buff again. I always used WOOL and "FARECLA G3" compound.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm
Turbo92PGT wrote:It's looking good. Turned out much better than my first paint job thats for sure! Yes a dry spot will buff out. They just take a while to get fully blocked out so they don't have the texture anymore. Just take your time! Use lots of water and fresh paper. And MAKE SURE YOU BUFF IT ENOUGH. I've seen so many crappy polish jobs, get it out in the light at different angles. if you see sanding marks in it still, use finer paper and sand it again to level those, then buff again. I always used WOOL and "FARECLA G3" compound.

Awesome, thanks. I plan to hit it with my rotary then take out all the ghosting and swirls with my pc.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 pm
Update: Got the body painted today, had a little gun trouble but finally got it spraying right. I got to admit I'm pretty impressed with this restoration shop paint it covered fully in 2 coats and the clear laid flat, got some bugs I'm going to have to buff out but what do you expect from a garage job?

Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects