1955 Chevy Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 pm
wow that looks amazing! The bees will not be happy with you though :rotfl:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm
Well I was pretty happy with the way the Limco Supreme Plus paint looked on the Jeep project so I took the same piece of metal I gave to the last jobber to match down to the new place to see what she could do with it.
Here's the results:
Cowl Vent Paint Match 1.jpg

Cowl Vent Paint Match.jpg

I am getting read to order a complete A/C system from Old Air in Fort Worth Texas so I can start moving forward on this project.
There seemed to be only three companies that make these complete systems and they all get good reviews.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm
Well, I took those painted parts outside and the mixed to match paint is just a tad lighter than the piece I gave her. Since I painted over black epoxy primer I know its not the undercoat, plus I shot three full coats of color to make sure I got full coverage.

Back to the jobber tomorrow with pieces in hand.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 pm
Installed the A/C heater unit under the dash:
AC Heater Unit Installed.jpg

AC Heeater Unit Installed 1.jpg

The unit bolts to the top two battery tray nuts so I purchased some longer bolts that would extend through the firewall. This will allow me to use washers and nuts to secure the battery tray.

The template with the system was about 1" off when following the instructions and included photos. This put the hose connectors slightly lower than I wanted them but it should look fine once the battery tray, hoses and wiring are in place.
Batter Tray Installed.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:59 am
Man, your work is excellent... that color though! Can't stomach it... and I know that has nothing to do with you. Keep up the good work. :worthy: :clap: :goodjob:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:44 pm
:rotfl: The owner loves this color. His wife and son both tried to convince him to change it but no way.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:10 pm
I feel your pain trying to match that color. That will be hard to do, takes a very talented paint mixer and a lot of trial and error to pull it off....

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 pm
I have a pretty close match right now and told the customer that since every panel has issues the best thing is for me to sand and paint the whole thing. He loves this color and not even his wife could talk him out of it. LOL
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:40 pm
This project has had its share of set backs. It seems the guys who had it before robbed lots of parts and tried to cover it up.
Recently I began going through the engine and transmission to find what was still needed to get it running. When I looked at the distributor I noticed is was an MSD unit but it had a regular cap on it. Turns out the cap was broken so I pulled it only to find the rotor missing.
The Torque Converter bolts were missing, the TV cable (Tranny kick down) was gone, the transmission pan bolts were loose, no shifter lever at tranny, no valve cover gaskets, no valve cover bolts and the list goes on.
After doing some research on pressure requirements I found the GM power steering unit in this truck puts out around 1300 psi and the 1977 Mustang II front end can handle about 1000 psi max. Ordered a pressure reducing shim kit for the power steering unit. When it arrived I pulled the power steering unit, then removed (or tried to) the power valve. Turns out the power valve was gone. So now we get a new Power steering unit, I install the shim kit and put it in the truck and hook up the hoses. I'll have to wait until the engine runs to find out if it will work.
In the mean time I installed the electric fuel pump and pressure regulator:
Fuel Pump and Pressure Regulator.jpg

Installed the new A/C compressor but had a problem with the valve cover clearing:
New AC Compressor 1.JPG

Valve Cover wont fit.jpg

Sent the compressor back and got an adapter bracket from Old Air Products for the R4 style compressor:
AC Compressor.jpg

New power steering pump with pressure reduction kit and new pulley installed. Also notice the matching ball milled breather cap. It has a matching PCV valve on the other cover:
Power Steering Lines.jpg

Going with an electric cooling fan so installed the Serpentine belt:
Serpentine Belt Drive.jpg

Ordered a set of Sanderson C32AP headers for it and when they got here one had a dent in it:
Left Header Damage.JPG

Went ahead and installed them for a test fit. The left side slipped into place without much trouble:
Left Header Fit.jpg

Had to pull the motor mount bolt and jack engine up on right side to get header in. Once in and the motor lowered it was hitting the lower control arm support mount.
Left Header at Motor Mount.jpg

Right Header Hitting.JPG

Starter clearance wasn't too bad:
Fit Right Header at Starter.JPG

I sent the pictures to Sanderson and they had me send the headers back so they could repair/replace the dented one and mill the flange face enough on the right one to give 3/8" of clearance to the frame. Going to have them apply Silver Ceramic coating now I know they will fit.

While at the local automotive upholstery shop where I buy miscellaneous supplies the owner asked me what I was working on. Told him a 55 Chevy truck and he said, I have an original bench seat for the truck out in the storage shed. I took a look, called the truck owner and he picked up and delivered it the next day. This seat had the original mounting brackets still attached and bolted right into place.
Front Seat.JPG

Of course will be refurbished later but for $175 no one was complaining.
I plan to mount the MSD 6AL ignition box under the center of the seat when the time comes.

The wiring harness is going to be fun, especially since nothing is in the original places or has the original connectors:
Wiring Harness.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:34 pm
That's a nice bench seat! Those are getting harder to find, guys are asking $500 for bucket seats for my 62 Galaxie that are complete junk, just a usable frame. Lots of work in that truck but its looking better everyday. When you do paint it please post up details if you have a chance as Im always looking for details and tips :)
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects