1955 Chevy Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 am
After rebuilding the calipers and installing new brake pads and hardware I turned to fabricating the brake lines.
My first mistake was buying this Double Flare tool from Mastercool http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJ ... UTF8&psc=1

This thing was a piece of garbage and I ended up returning it and buying this one from Rigid http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIDGID-345DL-15 ... 338256b937

The Rigid performs flawlessly and produce a double flare that looks just like the factory formed flares.

I needed to fabricate some mounting blocks to attach the rear brake houses to the axles.
BrakeHoseCenterRear.jpg

Next was making up the new brake lines, welding tabs for brake hoses to the frame and picking a location for the proportioning valve:
BrakeLineRearAxle.jpg

BrakeLineRear.jpg

BrakeHoseFront.jpg

BrakeProportioningValve.jpg

I did some measuring to find out if the brake booster pedal assembly would line up with the original hole in the cab and things just didn't add up so I put the cab on the frame for a check fit.
CabFitFront.jpg

CabFitRear.jpg

My measuring was right since there was no way the brake pedal was going to be in the right place. I will need to make a mounting bracket that properly positions the brake pedal before running the rest of the brake lines.

While the cab was on I installed the steering column and checked the linkage for function and header clearance.
SteeringLinkage.jpg

Also checked bucket seat fit:
SeatFitment.jpg

SeatAlignment.jpg

One issue that presented itself was after getting the driver's seat centered on the steering wheel, I put the passenger seat in matching the measurement from the cab step to the seat bracket. This showed that the center console/seat will not fit in this cab. The owner was bummed but I told him if I crammed everything in there he would not like it because the steering wheel would be about 3" right of center when he sat in the driver's seat. I'll have to find or fabricate a console to fit.

The new custom drive shaft arrived.
Driveshaft.jpg

Once I get the brake system completed I'll move to the air suspension system, then the fuel line plumbing.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:00 pm
Having to do the fitting and fabricating after paint has to be frustrating, good job Jim.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:25 pm
Yes, it is a bit challenging but I am not too worried about the paint right now. Once I get to putting it together I'll repaint some and touch up others and anything new I should be able to match.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:33 pm
Looks like it will be nice truck when done. I'm currently building one myself.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:55 pm
Finally got the brake system plumbed, filled and bled.
Had to make a mounting brake to get the brake pedal to center on the original hole in the floor of the cab. The bracket moves the assembly 2" from the inside frame rail.
BrakeMountingBracket.jpg

I need to shorten the barrel nut that connects the pedal to the piston on the booster but decided to wait until the cab is in place so I can set the proper distance to the floor.
BrakeBoosterAssembly.jpg

Added the residual valves into the lines feeding the proportioning valve.
BrakeLineResidualValves.jpg

Only had to redo one flare made with the first flaring tool I bought and returned. Still need to add the line clamps but then on to the air suspension system.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:02 pm
Nice job on the brake lines. About the question you asked about the brake assembly, if you had to make that mount the factory mount was missing. Here is what the factory mount looks like.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:28 pm
There are a lot of things missing from this truck. Apparently the last place he took it "misplaced" some of the parts including his air suspension system and painless wiring harness.
They used two different length shock bolts one of which was hitting the air bag. The air bags weren't bolted to the rear axle housing and one of the motor mount bolts is missing, the dust cover for the transmission is nowhere to be found, etc. etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:There are a lot of things missing from this truck. Apparently the last place he took it "misplaced" some of the parts including his air suspension system and painless wiring harness.
They used two different length shock bolts one of which was hitting the air bag. The air bags weren't bolted to the rear axle housing and one of the motor mount bolts is missing, the dust cover for the transmission is nowhere to be found, etc. etc.

Isn't it amazing how some shops treat peoples pride and joy. I know many horror stories of what some shops do.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 am
Nice job on the brake lines. Are you going to use a remote fill reservoir for the brake fluid?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm
Thanks Greg.
To be honest I haven't thought that far ahead. Now that you mention it the obvious answer would be yes. Do your or Bam have a good source?
1968 Coronet R/T

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects