1955 Chevy Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:55 am
Dreww wrote:That's a nice bench seat! Those are getting harder to find, guys are asking $500 for bucket seats for my 62 Galaxie that are complete junk, just a usable frame. Lots of work in that truck but its looking better everyday. When you do paint it please post up details if you have a chance as Im always looking for details and tips :)

Sometimes you can get a good deal on original parts by joining forums specific to your car.
Also, local car shows and swap meets. This guy was getting ready to go to a local swap meet and sell his seats, one of which was the bench seat for the 55. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:56 pm
Installed a Lokar gas pedal and linkage assembly.
This required drilling out the spot welds and removing the old mount, making patches to close up the linkage hole and level the mounting service for the new pedal to mount to.
Also had to cut a rectangle slot for the cable arm.
View from firewall side:
Throttle Linkage 1.jpg

View at Carburetor:
Throttle Linkage.jpg

View inside with matching brake pedal:
Pedals - Gas and Brake.jpg

Began installation of TV cable but need an adapter for the carburetor linkage.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:31 pm
Getting back to this project.
Have a question for those who have more experience with these older trucks.
I have been fighting with getting the alignment of the driver's door correct.
The gap at the rear of the door looks pretty consistent but the center portion of the door doesn't flush up with the cab.
In this picture you can see the gap:
Door Gap Rear Drivers.jpg

I have magnets holding the door flush at two points:
Door Alignment Upper Drivers.jpg

The door sits flush at the top and about center:
Door Alignment Middle Drivers.jpg

The major problem area is from the curve just below the door handle to about 1/2 up the window channel:
Door Alignment Problem Area.jpg

The second problem is the lower section. You can see it is flush at the top and not at the bottom:
Door Alignment Problem Lower Rear.jpg

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Should I try to "tweak" the door? Modify the cab? Combination of both?
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:00 am
Back then old cars never really fit nice. Your Hanna have to bend the door around to get your gaps or make the door sit flush. Is there adjustments for the door to move in and out? Probably not.... A 2x4 and some muscle will fix your problem. Awesome job this far looks awesome keep up the great work
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:24 pm
Got the headers and spark plug wire holders installed. Also found an oil filler cap and PCV valve to match valve covers:
Motor left side.jpg

A/C unit and compressor are installed but not the hoses yet.
Motor Right side.jpg

Working on fitting a console in but I'll have to alter it to clear the gas pedal. Its too close and I have already shifted the console 1" off center toward the passenger side.
Console fitting.jpg

They cut a radio slot in the dash but didn't bother to check and see if it would clear the windshield wiper linkage and it won't. Owner thinks I should find a plastic insert for holding stuff but I am leaning toward welding it closed.

Booth looks much brighter now that its repainted and the lights re-positioned. Didn't have the two on the far side plugged in. Was going to wire them in through the wall but they were so cheaply made I figured I may need to replace them soon.
Truck back in booth.jpg

Wondering if there is a good epoxy for the floor or some material that would clean up easy?
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:18 am
What about a tintable bed liner. It helps for sound deadening and heat. Booth looks awesome! :worthy: I would love to own something like that

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:58 am
Another question I have is about the paint. I have had two different local jobbers try to match this paint and in both cases the color looks close in natural light but not under camera flash.
Notice the majority of the truck reflects blue when using the camera flash but the color match on the step does not. Did they shoot a blue pearl mid coat over the green?
StepInstalledDS1.jpg

Here's a picture of the most recent attempt at a match and no blue is evident in either the original piece or the cowl grill. The blue only appears at certain angles which is baffling me.
Cowl Vent Paint Match 1.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
I believe that is a Chevy color?! You might be better off going to your jobber and flipping through the fm color chips. There may be a bluer variance. Also if you are spraying most of the truck maybe bite the bullet and spray the whole truck and work out a deal with the owner.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm
Thanks Mike, I will take your advice and try the GM color chips.
I already prepped the owner for a complete repaint since every panel needs work.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:15 pm
Finally made the cut outs in the console. I had to modify the driver's side flare to give some clearance around the gas pedal.
Console Cut Outs.jpg

Top two holes are for the center A/C vents.
Next is the ignition switch and A/C controls.
Below that is the Stereo and then on the sloped area I will have the Air Bag controller in the center with the pressure gauges on each side.

Had to remove the cross bracing on the radiator support and modify the hood latch surround but finally was able to install the Radiator and the A/C condenser and drier:
Condenser Installed.jpg

Drier Installed.jpg

Need to find a spot for the transmission cooler.
1968 Coronet R/T

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects