1955 Chevy Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 am
that speedo resto = mint is the chrome housing metal? or plastic?

and the grille is really badass!

Great project

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:17 am
Thanks.
Speedo is metal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:29 am
Truck looks great but I have a booth question. Getting ready to start on my new booth on a month or two. I see your lights aren't enclosed, do you have any concerns about potential sparks from fixture failure? The ones I have now are enclosed but not 100% airtight and with the plastic lense over them don't give off nearly as much light as the open bulbs you have would. Am I just being paranoid? Sure could use better lighting!
Rob

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:46 pm
I don't believe there is anything in the florescent light fixtures that will ever produce a spark outside of replacing bulbs with the fixtures on.
Also, I turn the lights on before I go into the booth and have plenty of air flow so no vapor build up.
Painted a lot of cars in this booth and never had a problem. That being said, sealed lights would obviously be the safest choice so I am not "recommending" my set up to anyone.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:32 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I don't believe there is anything in the florescent light fixtures that will ever produce a spark outside of replacing bulbs with the fixtures on.
Also, I turn the lights on before I go into the booth and have plenty of air flow so no vapor build up.
Painted a lot of cars in this booth and never had a problem. That being said, sealed lights would obviously be the safest choice so I am not "recommending" my set up to anyone.

Thanks, I honestly don't know if those fixtures are capable of any kind of spark, I tend to over think things. I also plan on moving as much air as possible and would dearly love to have a LOT of light in there and diffusing it with plastic covers sure doesn't help.
Rob

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 pm
Installed the components into the console so I could start working on the interior wiring.
Fitting Console.jpg

Console layout.jpg

The MSD ignition is going under the bench seat and the wiring for it and the air suspension system runs under the seat and console.
The radio is just an old one I had laying around and there are no speakers yet so all the wiring will need to be added as well.
Wiring Console.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:25 pm
Pulled the old radiator and put an aluminum one in:
New Radiator.jpg

The stock radiator was for a manual transmission and putting a tranny cooler in front of the A/C condenser was going to cost not only money but looks so opted for new radiator. This one cost more than twice the cheaper brands because it has stamped tanks that keep the OEM look, are completely TIG welded and have a plate style transmission cooler.

Installed A/C hoses and electric fan:
AC hoses installed.jpg

The electric fan, relay, and thermo switch still need to be wired in.

Stripped, repainted and rebuilt carburetor:
Rebuilt Carb.jpg

Still laboring on the all the wiring.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:35 pm
The steering column dash mount doesn't have enough drop.
Steering Column Mount.jpg

The one in there now has a 2" drop and this causes the steering wheel too be to high and close to the dash cluster.
This also causes problems in the engine compartment because the shifter linkage will interfere with valve cover removal and the ignition wires:
Steering Column linkage clearance 1.jpg

Steering Column linkage clearance.jpg

I ordered one with a 3 1/2" drop that should remedy this problem - $100 plus shipping :shocked:
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:14 am
Getting back to work on this project.
I have the all the linkage and cooling lines etc. hooked up. Put oil in the rear axle, engine and transmission, filled the radiator with coolant and made notes where all the leaks are.
Installed the mufflers and tailpipes so I could test fire this baby.
Hooked up the MSD ignition and after pre-lubing the motor I put a couple of ounces of gasoline in the carb and turned the key. She started right up!
I will post some more pictures later but for now here is a shot of test fitting the headlight buckets, grill and front bumper.
Prefitting Headlights.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 pm
Man you do awsome work! The attention to detail is superb! :clap: :worthy: :worthy:

Love reading thru your post to get motivation!
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects