Candy paint test, on Harley Davidson tank

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 pm
I wanted to test out a new paint brand (Alsa Paint) of candy. So I got this old tank free to test on. The ENTIRE gas tank was done with off the shelf spray cans of paint, OTHER than the final clear coat was done with a gun. Not sure if it will all post, I keep copying it from my photo bucket LOL.. I'm sure some is messed up or out of place, if it loads at all? LOL.. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links? But here is the spray cans I used.... All paints you could squirt from a windex bottle and make look good after clear coat and buff LOL.... They lay on nice, dry FAST lacquer, and EASY to spray from the can LOL.... Have fun people..... :allgood:

Red Oxide primer from Tractor Supply LOL
Candy Blood Red from...... http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killer ... inbasecoat
Silver flake and Red flake specks from..... https://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalSpecks/

Paint striper

Body filler

Red Oxide primer

Heavy silver metal flake base coat

In this pic, I cut out tribale flames on my vinyl cutter and placed them over the silver flake, then I cut out my name (Full Blown Graphics) and placed it around the filler neck. Then painted the tank with heavy red metal flake, then removed the vinyl graphics masking.

Now I air brushed black around my name at filler neck and around the flames.

Here is tank outside with two coats of clear lacquer.

now the entire tank was painted with candy blood red from Alsa paint products.

Below is tank sprayed with HOK House Of Kolor clear and buffed, polished etc....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-6O54PZoE
When someone says it can't be done....? They are usually interrupted by someone who is already doing it.!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:55 am
look really nice but I'm confused by one thing - you say 'lacquer' - are the colors you are using really lacquer based or are they enamels? Also the final clear coat, it's a urethane 2K clear, correct (not really lacquer)? Or are these all really lacquer based products?

I'd be a little worried about mixing lacquer and 2K urethane products, this is why I'm asking.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm
All lacquers other than final clear coat.
When someone says it can't be done....? They are usually interrupted by someone who is already doing it.!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:46 pm
If you were try and match that exact shade for the other half of the tank do you think you could?
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:07 am
Apexxn wrote:If you were try and match that exact shade for the other half of the tank do you think you could?

Yes, because I would have counted the no# of candy coats. The black shadows are transparent black paint, not solids.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects