1st victim '90 CRX

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:49 pm
Hi AB101 Community.
I've been here looking and poking and decided to take a plunge and... well here it goes.

before I continue I have to thank this forum and fellow members for bringing(posting) so much information for anyone to see for free. :worthy:
The victim is described as a beat up 1990 Honda Civic Renaissance model X (A.K.A CRX).
To make this story short I decided to paint my car after seeing how $400 could turn a car's paint into a giant grapefruit.
any how this is what I did. this car was literary the worst looking car on the road for a while, then I decided that enough was enough.
I sanded down the old paint job with a 380 grit sand paper.

I had a friend help with body work since I don't think I can do a better job than him.

after bodywork was done and I must say, it IS not the best job by any means. the car was sprayed with 2K Urethane primer
FP410. followed by a 400 grit wet sand to smooth out the texture a bit. I waited for the primer to cure more than 24 hrs before sanding and respraying another coat. this is a personal preference or short for I was lazy.

once i was satisfied with the smoothness of the Primer I proceeded to spray base coat paint

for some reason i can not explain the base coat came out somewhat shinny and not flat as I was told. after some thought and some asking about it I decided I would not scuff the paint and since I was withing the paint time frame to clear coat it I sprayed the car with clear(cross my fingers).
some of the photos were taken after the car sat for a while so some dirt is visible over the CC. although yes some dirt got to it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:40 pm
here are a few more shots of the car.
looking at this foto I noticed my right hand fingers look kind of creepy. lol

the clear is still not polished of buffed just after the last coat of clear. that is for another day.

The paint is Martin Seynour Crossfire BC 5.0 Platinum for '04-'14 Buick. I used CR733 reducer.
Primer is Acme F1 FP410 with hardener FH612 I believe I sprayed at higher than recommended air pressure. and It laid out perfect.
Clear Coat is FC720 with FH612 reducer. sprayed at around 40Psi
I sprayed the car at around 80-87 deg F. at not the best conditions.

the Paint gun is a 20 Oz 1.2 nozzle Harbor Freight cheapo Gravity spray gun and I have nothing bad to say about it, nothing.

I had to respray a bit here and there because I used the same PG for paint primer and CC. I know its not right. this Is where I learned that I had to literary clean up the whole thing to almost never used condition.
I really liked the color considering that I got it without knowing anything about it, I just asked for a the nicest and cheapest paint in Black BC, CC combo they had(NAPA).

lessons I learned.
don't get so close to the painting area - this is where I end up with orange peel although in a very small texture, nothing that can't be fixed with a 2500 grit wet sand.
use a different gun for each material, one for paint, one for primer and another for clear. clean them up as soon as I am done with it.
the most important thing I have learned from all this is to be patient. and to take time to do things right--> this one will I use on my next project.

another thing of great importance is that I did not used those measuring cups at all. I still have them on the garage squeaky clean and more than likely they will become plant pots. what I did was I called MS and they explain it to me so easily that It was a no brainier. and this is why.
A friend of mine sprayed a car and He was using those measuring cups. after seeing how he would toss away un used material(a Lot) i decided that there has to be a way to just use what I need, and this is what I did.

I went to those dollar everything stores and purchased 4 mason jars. I also bought a Pyrex measuring cup(glass as well) and made my own mixing bowls. wordless to say I did not wasted a single Oz of material. wohooo!!

there are many mistakes made on my part but those are lessons learned and they can be easily fixed. I'll post again after I have the car's paint cut, buffed and polished.

thanks for watching. I hope I posted the pictures right.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:53 pm
I am thinking those creepy looking "right hand fingers" were on your left hand.

Do you have a before picture so we can compare?

Now you have been bitten by the "paint bug" and it will only be a matter of time before you next "victim." LOL
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm
I really don't have any others. :oops:
the car was so bad looking that I never took a before pic, but it looked pretty much the same as the top before the primer but all the way around. the hood was sprayed with can primer(SEP) green color, then there was the doors which were gray from another cheapo can spray. + the Red from all the body work. it was all sanded down to oem paint and primer + a few metal spots here and there.
once all those bad primers were removed then I sprayed it with a 2K urethane primer(gray) the one on the pics.

the phone has a 2 MP camera so it doesn't picks up on too much detail.

I actually got the bug earlier.lol I sprayed the house light switches , AC plenum grill, AC vents, closet doors from that ugly(IMO) bone white with gloss white paint. + I have a small air brush I use with small projects and some model cars I've done before.

thanks for commenting.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm
Looks nice lets see some more pics!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 am
Looks like it came out real nice, congrats!

For the next project get some masking paper or masking plastic and tape from your local body shop jobber. Newspaper can cause all sorts of problems. The real stuff isn't too expensive.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 am
100% for next time.
I tried to post the best I did or at least the best I was able to accomplish on this time. practice makes perfection. :happy:
masking tape was a real P.I.T.A, considering that this was a 6 weeks project,more so because of laziness I end up having a hard time removing the adhesive of the MT. once I tried removing it.

I will post on the cut, buff. polish forum my polishing progress.
here is a sample.

this is the light textured Orange Peel I got from spraying to close and maybe a bit to dry.

after a 2K wet sand an some elbow grease i got to this point

very smooth and very low defects other than the upper edge of the panel itself, my cousin advice me against polishing it given It is my first time doing this kind of work.
and this is how I got it to look like after a nice polishing.

you can see the difference between the door which I have not done yet and the rear 1/4r panel.

:rockon:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:27 pm
small correction the solvent for the primer was FH411

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:27 pm
Nice job on that sand and polish.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 pm