Highly Modified 2001 Yamaha R1

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:30 am
Hello all. I have been sitting on two complete bikes, one with a good title, a 2001 R1 and the other with a salvage title and 03 R1. I have been wanting to build something that

1) Would be a good representation of my/shop's (http://www.opticvelocity.com and http://www.sportbikebody.com) capabilities

2) I could use in bike shows and reasonably expect to compete to win

3) Retain the pure sport function/performance and OEM style/appearance and take the the track as is .

4) Ensure that none of the more radical modifications affect the bikes performance negatively or add weight, rather I expect an increase of performance overall

Without further ado:

2001 R1 w/ Clean Title as received:

Frame Repaired by Aerospace shop just down the street from us (Phenomenal Welds! Thank you Stevens and Sons in Essington PA)

Frame Painting by us/me....

Copper Bronze Coctail is Cleared and almost done. The metallic isn't quite as well distributed as I like so I will be sanding it down and fog coating it once more to get perfect flake distribution"

The flat black you see here is just primer. That is not what will be the final color of the rest of the frame. I'm going to use a Jet Black with heavy flake/pearl and spray a premixed matte clear with 10% flatten-er added too it to get that super low Matte Gloss that is just a hair above primer fat .

My love is in league with the freeway...

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:57 am
What you see here is a heavily modified 2001 upper fairing. It has been cut, welded, reworked/modified to accept a 2006 R1 projector headlight assembly which we also extensively modified. The individual left and right headlights are welded together so that they would mimic the 2001 single piece unit and therefore fit into the 2001 upper fairing which is slightly narrower than the 2006 fairing; obviously two separate left and right units would not fit.

My love is in league with the freeway...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm
great project. more pics when done :pcorn:
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects