W.I.P. Repainting 2000 Tundra

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:24 pm
Novafreek, I actually had to work Wednesday and yesterday, but I'm back on the project after back-burnering it for a couple of days. :)

I'm treating the tailgate just like it's a door, i.e., I'm doing the jambs beforehand. Got those finished today.

I will have a challenge with all this pre-painted stuff when it comes to preventing overspray, but I bought some 3/4" 3M easy edge foam tape and may have to buy the 1/2" roll too. Wouldn't be as worried, but I have to spray the grey primer with a black sealer coat using epoxy primer, so I've got to make sure I don't get into the jamb cracks to heavily.

I also sprayed up another panel for practice. This will give you a better idea of what the whole truck will look like in the end.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 pm
Some last minute things to do: rock chips ground, filled, and wet sanded.

I tried to get away without doing high-build primer/block sanding on the hood, but finally decided that I had time to do it right. Found four imperfect spots after blocking, applied thin layer of polyester glazing compound, blocked with 320, reapplied high-build primer, reblocked with 600.

All touch-ups are done. Tomorrow I mask off and start spraying.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:40 am
Lookin' good. Good luck with the painting! :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:08 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Lookin' good. Good luck with the painting! :goodjob:

Thanks.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 pm
Man! Masking off took the better part of the day. Didn't spray the black sealer coat until about 5 p.m., although I was in the shop at 7 a.m. this morning. It took a while to wrestle the plastic into place and cut it all away, too (not shown).

I like using the 3M foam tape in the jambs. Very easy to use, and I'm pretty confident that there will be no overspray. Paper was just insurance.

I used a spudger to push the foam back into the crack.

Ugh! I thinned the black epoxy too much, and at the same time tried the walking end-to-end technique--as opposed to the panel-by-panel technique. Got some runs to wet sand out tomorrow before base coat. Also discovered that 1) I need 4 foot long arms to reach the center of the hood, even standing on a step stool, and 2) I need a longer hose. Can't do anything about the former, but I'll run to Lowes first thing in the morning to pick up a 50' 3/8" hose.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:28 pm
Two coats of thinned down black epoxy. Looks like I'll be doing some wet sanding tomorrow morning.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:00 am
Piece o' cake... you got it in the bag, man. You realize you will have to buy another work truck now? It's gonna be way too nice to work out of!! LOL :clap:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:45 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Piece o' cake... you got it in the bag, man. You realize you will have to buy another work truck now? It's gonna be way too nice to work out of!! LOL :clap:

This will be the one I go on sales appointments in. They'll think I'm some rich, overcharging SOB. :happy:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:47 pm
Well, it's not the face of Jesus, but it is life itself. A sperm penetrating an egg. That's what I see. Maybe I should start another thread entitled "Rorschach Test."

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:57 pm
Today was brutal. I spent the entire day--in the shop by 6 a.m., finished up at 4 p.m.--wet sanding the truck. I was not at all pleased by how the thinned black epoxy primer dried. Too much texture. My fault for using my truck to experiment with a new mix/technique. I should have just applied it without thinning because I already knew it would go on flat from my previous applications. Oh well, it's only my 51 year old knees.

But look how shiny it is now!

Did these today, too, including the black plastic, aftermarket tailgate handle (I used Bulldog adhesion promoter).

I was going to build an elaborate stand for these lights, but I had an epiphany. Got two of these for each side.

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects