Looks like I have my next project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 pm
A woman pulled out in front of my daughter in a shopping center parking lot. It's going to be one of those no-fault situations. I don't carry collision on her car given its age and mileage, so her car will be next.

I was going to replace her cracked rear bumper cover, do some minor body work, replace the headlights, then repaint her car, so I'm only adding the front bumper cover and left turn signal. Not a huge dent to my wallet.

Poor gal was soooo upset. She just needed this: :bighug:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:26 pm
Not trying to play armchair insurance agent here but I think you let the other party off the hook a little too easy. If it was her fault, regardless of whether or not you carry collision on your car, shouldn't you have the opportunity to file a claim against her? That's why most if not all states have mandatory liability insurance for both property damage and injuries.

That looks like at least $1500 in damage.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:30 pm
chris wrote:Not trying to play armchair insurance agent here but I think you let the other party off the hook a little too easy. If it was her fault, regardless of whether or not you carry collision on your car, shouldn't you have the opportunity to file a claim against her? That's why most if not all states have mandatory liability insurance for both property damage and injuries.

That looks like at least $1500 in damage.

Well, we'll see. We both have USAA, and I haven't called in the claim yet. It's going to be hard to assign fault because it was in a private parking lot at an unmarked intersection. No Florida Highway Patrol participation because it was on private property. My opinion is that my daughter was on the "main drag" of the parking lot, and the lady came across it in front of her. I took a lot of pictures and will see where it goes.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 pm
I ordered this front bumper cover, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTL ... UTF8&psc=1, and this rear bumper cover, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GC ... UTF8&psc=1.

They come primed, "ready to paint." Should I go ahead and use adhesion promoter, and does an acrylic urethane need any type of additive, e.g., something to make it more flexible? I've noticed that the original painted bumpers are faded, so it makes me wonder if the factory added something like this.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm
If they're primed then you don't need to do anything more than if you'd primed them yourself. Wash and prepsol well, rub back with P800 for some key and touch up any transit damage, then go with your topcoats. Adhesion promoter is for bare plastic, not primed surfaces.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 pm
NFT5 wrote:If they're primed then you don't need to do anything more than if you'd primed them yourself. Wash and prepsol well, rub back with P800 for some key and touch up any transit damage, then go with your topcoats. Adhesion promoter is for bare plastic, not primed surfaces.

Tanks!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:26 pm
Bad luck nate... I hate parking lots for exactly this reason. Private property.

On the bright side you get to try to match silver paint now... :knockout:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:04 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Bad luck nate... I hate parking lots for exactly this reason. Private property.

On the bright side you get to try to match silver paint now... :knockout:

I was going to do a full repaint in the original color anyway, but I'll do the bumper covers first to get it looking respectable again, then do the rest later. The Camry will be so easy compared to my Tundra.

The other driver told USAA that it was my daughter's fault. Apparently, if you're making a beeline to a McDonalds, you've automatically got the right of way. :talkhand:

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:41 am
Don't forget to cut n buff... :wink: :shocked: :rotfl:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:46 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Don't forget to cut n buff... :wink: :shocked: :rotfl:

:happy:
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects