89 Mustang GT project "new member"

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 am
going well champ, keep up the good work, it will all be worth it in the end
krem

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 pm
Looks good !! Can't wait to see her with some color. I bought my 14 year old son a 92 5.0 coupe, SSP model. He'll be 15 in August and we're hoping to do a repaint/color change eventually, so I may want to ask some questions, if you don't mind. Looking forward to the next update.

Bossed

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 pm
No problem Bossed do what I can to help you out and there are waay more experienced guys and gals then me on this forum. :worthy: The search button is your friend here.
Here is a little progress update. I was pretty much done wet sanding 600 the whole car when I had to pull the aftermarket sun roof to knock down the hard line at the edge of it. Well that hard line was a little harder then I expected so some sanding and high build primer and its feathered in. :knockout: Now to reinstall sun roof and block again to check that the rest of the roof is still straight as that is the only structural support. If its good hit it with 600 wet and I may be in color real soon! :happy:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:05 am
20150411_125235.jpg

20150411_125257.jpg

Well everything is wet sanded 600, any hard lines have been knocked down. Spent the day yesterday cleaning the garage, scrubbing floors and walls. Now have to think of a plan for the garage to cut down on any dust that may go into the paint. Ventilation is decent for what I have just thinking if I should do a plastic sheet paint booth in the garage or just cover some stuff and spray it. Either way still gonna be wet sanding in the end to cut the orange peel.
I may also try the 3m transition tape for the jambs instead of back taping. Just to try it out.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:52 pm
Car is looking very nice.
The 3M soft edge foam masking tape gets better reviews than the Norton tape which I now have. Once I use this up I will give the 3M tape a try.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:41 pm
3m or other masking foam tape works ok IF you aren't going to use sealer.You have to be careful with it in the jambs as sometimes the solvent from the paint can cause the adhessive to stay behind after its sprayed.Ask me how I know as it can be a pain to clean up.If you are going to use the transition tape you will need to run 2 rows of it if you are using sealer.Once your sealer is applied pull one row off and then the color will go in further than the sealer edge.Masking jambs is an art in it's own right and there are many ways to do it.HTH and ask more questions if you have them.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:58 pm
Thanks for the info Jayson. I have had the same experience with the foam tape adhesive and solvents from the paint. Finished the set up of the garage spray booth and grabbed a test panel a spare fender I had laying around that was prepped. Sprayed the BC and CC today along with two techniques of back taping, Used the Transition tape and the technique in the info center using the blue fine line tape both worked much better than my back taping abilities. Gonna need to work on that back taping. If I can get decent pictures of it I'll post em. The transition tape worked the best for me so that is what I will use for this car. Here are some pics of the BC/CC. Little bit too much orange peel in the clear. Got to watch the gun distance and speed and need more light in the garage. Already got 8 double T8's in there but still seems like I need more light. :knockout:
20150420_160433.jpg

20150420_173922.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:46 pm
Prep is what takes all the time. It seems like you fuss over something for hours on end and just when you think you're finally done - wham another little issue that turns into hours of work.
The payoff comes when its all done and everyone that sees it says, Wow, looks great! Who did the paint?" :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 pm
Yea aint that the truth every time you think your almost there something else shows up and it sure does seem like hours getting that right.
Well sprayed the body today turned out okay. :happy: 4 coats BC and 4 coats CC. A bit too much orange peel in the clear and one run on the last coat of clear. But hey nothing a little wet sanding cant get out. Just a few more hours work to get the clear flat. :knockout:
So here is how it went down. All tape was done night before so rechecked all that again and of course some areas had to be stuck down again. Turned on vent got safety equipment ready. Checked out compressor, hose, filter. Mixed base. Tacked car off, and started spraying everything going good and as I get half the car done I'm noticing the air pressure is going down a lot check regulator at 17psi what the hell. Compressor not on. :whoops: Did I say I checked the compressor. :realmad: Tack base after flash and notice a water drop. Where is that coming from. Its real hot in the garage and I got a full spray suit on so sweating my **** off its coming from the cuff in the suit so tape a couple folded paper towels around the wrist for the fix. Get to the clear coat first three coats lay decent fourth coat near the quarter window I notice the edge looks like some over spray an area nobody will see and of course I have to spray that edge and not thinking as I am doing the panel I'm gonna hit it again and bam I get the run. :realmad: Hey it was all good learned a lot again today. Biggest thing even when you think you have enough light it aint enough in a garage also watch the angle of the light as this was giving me the false sense that I didn't have as much peel as I thought.
20150422_155411.jpg

20150422_162741.jpg

20150422_183338.jpg

Thanks again to all at this forum.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 pm
Well started the wet cut with 1500 and its looking good but looking at it maybe I should have went a little lower like 800 or 1000 to start as I can still see the reflection is a little distorted not really peel maybe its the sanding marks messing with me. Any way will go to 2000 then buff. Is there any real advantage going to higher grit other than it will be easier to buff out?
20150425_130950.jpg

20150426_181801.jpg

20150426_181848.jpg

Spraying the side skirts tonight then maybe fenders and front bumper tomorrow.
They are laying out nice but will still have to cut the flats at least.
20150427_223324.jpg

20150427_223348.jpg

Don't know why I bothered putting up plastic still get dust and already two small bugs in the clear. :knockout: Vent works good clears the fog out pretty fast while I'm in there.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects