New Member '67 Mustang coupe project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 pm
New to forum and thought I would say hello and start by posting my current project. It's a 67 Mustang coupe I got for free from a buddy and decided it would make a great 1st b-day present for my son Cam...then my wife decided it would make a great driver for her until he is old enough, so the goal is to get it as a nice driver in a year or so. I am active on few other forums notably the VMF so if you frequent there you may have seen this already, but I will be looking for much more detailed body work & paint advice here.

The Mustang was a 6 cyl, with manual, trans, power steering, deluxe parchment interior with overhead and center consoles. PO put in an unknown SBF and auto trans that I will investigate more this week.

Here is what it looked like the day we towed it home a year and a half ago:

I know its a body work forum but just to give an idea I have already picked up a bunch of parts to get the project moving:
Opentracker Roller perches, upper and lower control arms,
Bilstein Shocks
TCP Front coil springs and rear 5-leafs
TCP rear sway bar
4-wheel power disc brakes
Front OEM style discs
Rear SSBC discs
Aluminum radiator with dual electric fans

On to the important stuff, the body is overall very solid with minimal rust-which is good because while I have done all the mechanical work on my '65 I have never done any body work or welding. (I have a nice MIG welder and fortunately I have a father-in-law who is a master welder and is patient)

The PO replaced the passenger rear quarter, the frame rail under the passenger floor, radiator support and the batter apron, then attempted some body filler work and shot most of the car in primer, in that sat as in the pics for at least 7 years.

The back end needed some attention so I started the sheet metal work there a couple months ago removing the tail light panel and rear trunk cross brace:

^I used a Harbor Freight spot weld cutting bit and it worked great.

My son helping out:

I then got the truck cross brace, tail light panel, and truck latch bracket welded in and got all the welds cleaned up, overall very happy with the results considering it is the first time I ever did anything like this. (welds are cleaned up in this pic)

I then moved on to my drip rails which looked like swiss cheese..

At first I thought I would fill the holes with weld, after chasing my tale I just decided to shave them off....and I am glad my father-in-law was around because this was a bit more sensitive. Cut off and welded up:

Welds ground down:

So far pretty happy with the shaved look and finish, although I am not sure how to go about making the final finished edge look nice and crisp and STRAIGHT, any advice on that would be much appreciated!

I have more progress and pics to share just running out of time - post more pics and details soon.

-Kevin

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 am
I've only done that once. I welded and ground. Till I had the gaps I wanted. Then finished.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:55 am
Nice looking project.
Lot's of information and parts available for the early Mustangs.
Check out Rusty Gillis projects. He specializes in Mustangs and his work speaks for itself. He is even doing a Dynacorn 67 fastback build.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects