1950s scooter resto

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 am
I got distracted on this massive project with another similar project - although not a lot of painting I thought i'd update it

same model scooter, this one owned by a guy who sent it away for resto and they lost half the parts...

lucky my dad has a shed full of them

went fairly bonkers with the amount of work on this

luckily it was already painted although poorly

started off as a bunch of parts about 30-40% missing - small parts were completely gone. Had to order all new fasteners about 10 hours of scouring uk classic fastener sites to get period correct ones.

diy zinc plating

diy powder coating! came out mint! (air cleaner)

only thing I painted was the wheels in classic cream!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:00 am
Did you buy a powder coating kit?
What did you use for baking it?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:22 pm
used a cheap craftsman powder coat gun (the one that doenst require compressor)

didnt buy a full on kit. powders from prismatic powders. although I think powderdepot is going to be a better online choice because they have a clear range of TGIC free powders. TGIC is a heritable teratogen and so I opted not to use. plenty of people do use anyway but the powder gets everywhere and kinda becomes a chronic hazard. I coated in my shed with a full sundstrom respirator and am still vacuuming up bits of powder collected in the corner.

I used a cheap pizza oven, i'm limited to doing smalls but thats all I want to do, I was doing scooter seat frame parts etc in black for this build. it was a fun kinda learn new trick thing, But with how cheap powder coating is at the pros I'm probably not going to do a huge amount of it in future. Again small parts maybe.

I dont have capacity to spray 2k paint as too close to neighbours etc and so I opted for powder being way more durable!

did a bit of wet blasting in this project too

Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects