66 Mustang fastback into GT350 clone

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 am
so, my understanding of a slower reducer is higher gloss??
gives the paint longer time to flow out smooth, is this correct, my next car im thinking of flow coating just for the experience of doing it, to see how much better the results are
cheers for the informative post
krem

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am
Using a slower reducer will not increase the gloss. In fact, it can actually reduce the gloss if a lower quality reducer or too much reducer is used.

Gloss is the result of resins added to the clear when manufactured. Premium resins will produce a higher gloss and depth than those of lesser quality. Hence the price differences in clear coats. Some have higher solids and better quality components than others.

I am not a chemist by any means but have tried to research some of this stuff to get a better understanding as you are doing now.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:44 am
Sort of...the composition of the clear coat is crucial when it comes to gloss hold out and overall longevity of the finish.

You can cut and buff any clear to a high gloss, the question is what will it look like after a year?

If you are looking for high gloss off the gun with no cut/buff then make sure you have a great spray gun, great technique, and you are shooting inside a booth. Guys doing collision work pull this off every day. The rest of us break out the sandpaper and buffing compound.

Regarding the flow coat -- it's the step before that final coat of clear that is cutting the surface flat and allowing the final coat to look better, and gives more assurance of the "off the gun" result to look like you want it. That's fine if you don't plan on cutting/buffing afterward but for a car that is going to be cut/buffed no matter what then the sanding step before the final (flow coat) of clear is unnecessary.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:49 pm
chris wrote:That's fine if you don't plan on cutting/buffing afterward but for a car that is going to be cut/buffed no matter what then the sanding step before the final (flow coat) of clear is unnecessary.

As the guy who did all the sanding and then cutting and buffing, I can attest to that statement! lol... I just do what I'm told and cash that paycheck. :allgood:

Mustang should be going home tomorrow, I'll get some completed pics

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:31 pm

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Being a Nova Freak it had to break your heart seeing that Mustang look so nice. :rotfl:
1968 Coronet R/T

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Being a Nova Freak it had to break your heart seeing that Mustang look so nice. :rotfl:

Nah, I just saw dollar signs ... :goodjob:

We have 2 Camaros, 2 more Mustangs, and a LeMans all waiting for paint right now at the shop... would be fun to work on a Nova I have to admit!

The owner of the shop has 3 - 66 Chevy II's so I guess he's more of a Nova freek than I am! LOL

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:06 pm
Looks nice!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:49 pm
The 66 and 67 Chevy II was one of my favorites as well.
Hard to find any in decent original condition anymore.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:17 pm
Great job on that one Nova, please do post up future projects if you can, thanks.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects