Restoration: RHD Classic Mini

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:06 am
Well, after lurking here for a few months, it seems like a good time to share my latest project! I've been wanting to do a full-restoration on an older car for awhile now. However, with school/work getting in the way, I haven't had much time. Now that I'm 25, graduated and employed, it seems like the time to make it happen.

After nearly 8 months of searching, I finally came across the perfect base for a build. It's a 1969 Austin/Morris Mini Cooper. This is the first generation model with external door hinges and sliding windows, rather than the traditional roll-down style. Given that my mom is from England, I wanted to build a British car as a family heirloom of sorts -- but cool enough that I'll be happy to show it off :goodjob:

The car has a fairly unique history. It was originally imported in the mid-1970's along with several others at the time. The original owner sold the spare cars off as he needed money over time and this one was the last of the lot. Unfortunately, it was sitting for nearly 13 years (On Concrete, luckily). Since buying it, a friend of mine, my dad and myself were able to get the motor running. There's still a few mechanical kinks to work out (Brakes, Suspension, Leaking hoses, etc. -- but the car does run and move as of now).

So here you are -- A few pics of us dragging the car out of the barn, loading it on the trailer and where I'm at with it today. Minor rust overall -- With some replacement panels needed around the A-Panel area. Still, surprisingly clean for a car sitting this long!

The original generator was shot -- So I upgraded the electronics to a modern alternator and electronic distributor system. This will help ALOT long-term in the reliability arena as I do plan on driving the car to/from shows.

Loading up the day I picked it up

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:14 pm
Looks like a fun project.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:26 pm
Nice. Those cars seems like things could be done with a "pint of paint", at least minimal paint to a truck. Have fun.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:08 pm
One of the coolest cars on earth, congrats.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:48 pm
When I finish my 66 Mustang, I'll be doing a Mini for my missus. We both love them as well. Yours looks to be in great condition.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects