1960 Pontiac Ventura

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 pm
Continued from above. I forgot to mention the replacement quarter wheel arch panel I cut off of a parts car was from a 1960 Pontiac Starcheif which has a 5" longer wheelbase and as such was 5" longer then the panel on my Ventura so as seen in the above pics I had to cut the end piece off put it in place then cut the exsisting panel off leaving about 1/2" to be trimmed then I laid the replacement panel over the top of the existing panel and used a 1/32" cutoff wheel to cut the underside 1/2" off and tack welded as I cut leaving about 8" of cut in front of my last tack weld.
quarter repair panel 2.jpg

quarter repair 7.jpg

quarter repair 6.jpg
Attachments
quarter repair 8.jpg
Last edited by 421-4speed on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:37 pm
And then all finished up yesterday.

Repair panels 1.jpg

Repair panels 2.jpg

Repair panels 3.jpg

Repair panels 4.jpg

Repair panels 5.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:45 pm
So now that brings everything up to date. Now my next step is to get epoxy on the bare metal panels today and start on the body work. My question is how soon can I start with the body filler on the epoxy I put down today and do I need to sand it and with what grit. Also on the existing epoxy what grit do I need to sand it with before applying body filler? I did discuss this with Chris back when I purchased the epoxy and 2k high build primer but just need a refresh on the sand paper process from body filler to 2k primer to finish. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dan

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 pm
Phenomenal job, Dan! Thank you for documenting this project here, we love this stuff and I can't wait to see how it continues to develop.

Let that epoxy cure minimum 12 hours before doing body filler over it; it'll be just a little too soft before that. Yo do not need to sand it if you are within one week of time and the car has been inside a garage (not out in UV sunlight). If beyond that time period then p100 makes great tooth for filler to bite into it.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:19 pm
chris wrote:Phenomenal job, Dan! Thank you for documenting this project here, we love this stuff and I can't wait to see how it continues to develop.

Let that epoxy cure minimum 12 hours before doing body filler over it; it'll be just a little too soft before that. Yo do not need to sand it if you are within one week of time and the car has been inside a garage (not out in UV sunlight). If beyond that time period then p100 makes great tooth for filler to bite into it.

Thanks Chris that is exactly what I need to know. I will keep the updates coming.
Figured I would post a few pics of the chassis as well. 389 3X2 4-speed Hydromatic 3:23 Posi.
I stepped the lower control arm 2" as spindles are not available and had a custom set of springs made for the rear that drops the rear 2".

Stepped Lower control arm 1.jpg

Stepped Lower control arm 2.jpg

Stepped Lower control arm 6.jpg

Stepped Lower control arm 7.jpg
Last edited by 421-4speed on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:23 pm
Really nice project. Car will look fantastic when done.
You are going to weld those control arms a little more right? Looks like they are tacked in place right now.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 pm
And then the chassis assembled. I used Scarebird disc brake brackets that allow you to run disc brakes on stock spindles.

Scarebird disc brake brackets 1.jpg

Scarebird disc brake brackets 2.jpg

Chassis 2.jpg

Chassis 4.jpg

Chassis 5.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:12 pm
Wow, nice project. Very cool car. Your garage looks great, by the way.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:35 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Really nice project. Car will look fantastic when done.
You are going to weld those control arms a little more right? Looks like they are tacked in place right now.

Yes those were just tacks and then I did a mock up to make sure there were no clearance issues. They are all welded up painted and installed. Thanks for the complements.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:36 pm
Mark 56 Pittsburgh wrote:Wow, nice project. Very cool car. Your garage looks great, by the way.

Thanks
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects