Philly's 73 Camaro paint project.

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:01 am
Hi guys i'm new here. I'm in the middle of restoring a 73 camaro RS. I've been referred over here by a fellow Nastyz28 member Clay. I guess i can say where i'm at with the car. I started rebuilding it in 2009. So far i have replaced full floor, both rocker panels, rear quarters, tail panel inside and out, complete trunk and drop downs, both frame rails and more...anyways..I stripped every piece and layed down epoxy primer. I painetd the bottom of the car hugger orange single stage paint from Summit. I've since build a stout BBC for it and got it running, the drivetrain is in and its time for bodywork and that why i'm here.

I started sanding components for the car. The front clip has been aligned and installed and now taken apart for paint. Theres some dents and dings that need to be filled and like most people i want to do a good job. I bought a blocking kit and i got started recently. I plan on building a small paint booth in my garage and since i've done everything on the car already i figured why stop now?...might as well do it myself over this winter and hopefully have it ready for the road next summer. Wish me luck and i will need your help. Thanks for checkin it out. :allgood:

Heres a few pics.

and a Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67BydjIkHo

I hope to post some body work progress soon.

1st question

What kind of primer do i use to put down before paint? I recently sanded my tail panel down to 500 grit, and need to put some filler here and there....so what is the proper process start to finish??...I'm a noob when it comes to bodywork and really dont know much.

Thanks

Phil

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:44 pm
Phil, that's a great project and you've done an awesome job so far - love that color.

You are going to hear me say use the Tamco 2K HP-5310 primer I sell here as the perfect answer to projects like this, where you want a excellent chip-resistant substrate to paint over, gives good build for doing block sanding and provides an excellent basis for shooting color over.

For the overall process, make sure you read the stickies in the Body & Paint forum - you'll get a lot of prep info there. There are also articles in the "Info Center" that will help (link up in the header of this site).

Generally speaking what you are going to want to do is get the dents down to bare metal, do your body filler on top of that, block/sand & feather nice and flat, shoot your 2K primer over the entire panel, and iterate on using guide coat and block/sand until the panel is perfectly flat.

Another choice on the prep is to put epoxy primer down then do filler work over that (within about a 7 day window - otherwise it needs to be sanded p80 or p100 for good tooth). That's fine, and then you can complete with the 2K primer and guide coat block/sand, etc.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:23 pm
Right on...Thanks Chris. Much appreciated. I'm completely out the 7 day window for epoxy so w/e i guess gotta do what i gotta do. Thanks for the direction to the other section.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:18 am
nice job so far, more pics of the car be great,
as for the last paragraph in your 1st post, 500 is a bit fine to apply filler over, it needs to have something to grab onto, I like to use filler over atleast 120 as a minimum,
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 am
Phil, Glad to have you with us!!
Clay B.

Jane's Progress Thread

I can do everything through Jesus Christ who gives me strength. Phil. 4:13

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects