88 mustang convert

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:45 pm
So here is my first prep and paint project. Its a 1988 mustang 5.0 LX with a Saleen body kit. I bought it with most of the prep work seeming to be done but I believe there's still a lot to be done. I plan on doing all the sanding and prep work in my garage (no air compressor so everything will be done electrically) and then driving to my friends garage (has compressor and paint area) for the priming and painting. Ill be spending this next week researching everything Ill need to do to prep it before actually starting. Im pretty new to this so any advice on what grits to use, which sanders to use, how much of the original paint needs to come off, really anything at this point is extremely helpful. Ill of course be posting updates as the project comes along but here she is as she stands now.
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 am
That should look real nice when finished. Are you going with original colors?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:21 am
So far the plan is to go for a red orange for the body and with being my first project I doubt I'll be putting the stripes back on it.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 am
Stripes are not that difficult. The trick is to get all the measurements right. Measure the width of the stripes in a few places as often they are not consistent in width from front to back. Then measure the distance apart from each other and the edges of the hood and trunk lid edges.

Make a rough sketch with your measurements noted and save it some place safe.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects