69 Olds 442

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 am
Here's the latest project. It's a complete off frame resto. Original 4 speed car. The owner metal patched the doors and fenders and replaced floors, trunk and quarters. He also stripped everything to bare metal. I'm doing the rest of the bodywork and paint. I have all the bolt on panels jambed and ready for paint, waiting on the body shell to get here to start on. Been working on the parts for about 2 weeks. Using Tamco DTM high build primer and Tamco 2100 MS clear... basecoat is from ebay and not bad at all, but takes a long time to dry, owner supplying all paint materials.

pics>>>>http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/andyspaintshop/library/1969%20442?sort=3&page=1

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:17 pm
Cool project, looking forward to seeing it progress :-)

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Here's the latest project. It's a complete off frame resto. Original 4 speed car. The owner metal patched the doors and fenders and replaced floors, trunk and quarters. He also stripped everything to bare metal. I'm doing the rest of the bodywork and paint. I have all the bolt on panels jambed and ready for paint, waiting on the body shell to get here to start on. Been working on the parts for about 2 weeks. Using Tamco DTM high build primer and Tamco 2100 MS clear... basecoat is from ebay and not bad at all, but takes a long time to dry, owner supplying all paint materials.

What basecoat product and what is "a long time to dry"? Sure you don't mean flash time? Any basecoat that exceeds the norm of what I've been using professionally for decades sounds odd. Dry time to describe basecoat is different than flash time. All basecoats will dry. Any tech sheets on this e-bay basecoat?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:20 pm
Well. Scott, it's kind of an odd product... when you spray it on it dries almost shiny like a single stage, but not quite. I guess it flashes off like normal base, but the instructions say not to clear until you can't put your thumbnail in it or it might wrinkle. It says it can take a few hours or a few days depending on temps etc.

When I did the jambs I let it dry for a day and a half before I cleared. Didn't have any problems.

I'd rather use something more conventional, but this is what the owner has and wants to use. Seems to work ok...so far

http://www.xtremeautofinishes.com/painting_tips.html

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:28 pm
Body shell arrived yesterday. It has all new quarters, 1 piece floor pan, trunk pan and inner and outer wheelhouses and rockers. It's sitting on a donor frame for painting and then will be transferred to the restored frame after. Should make a super nice car when done. It arrived in epoxy primer which I have started sanding to prep for 2k high build. The roof seams need mud work and I'm sure there will be a few other places needing a little glaze or filler. Plan is to prime, guidecoat n block, then see where I'm at as far as highs n lows. When I get it a little farther along, I'll hang the doors and fenders on it.

Pretty lucky to get a body in this kind of shape to work on! :allgood:

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 am
Love the 68-72 A-bodies. Is this a factory correct restoration, a "resto-mod" or somewhere in between? Curious to hear the factory color combo and options. Neat car.

Thanks

Scott
72 Alfa Romeo GT 1300, Amaranth Red/Tan
66 Fairlane GT Convt, 428, 4 sp, Black/Black/Red
68 GTO Convt, Owner Built 455/TH400, Nordic Blue/White/Parchment
71 Javelin Road Race Project, Owner Built 401, T-10, 9"

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 am
Hey Scott. Going back original. Trophy Blue with blue interior. As far as I know, they have the numbers matching driveline for it. It's a 4 speed car with the 12-bolt posi rear. I think it gets the SST wheels or possibly dog dishes. No stripes. I just have to paint the body and get it all fitted, then it's outta my hands

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:06 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Hey Scott. Going back original. Trophy Blue with blue interior. As far as I know, they have the numbers matching driveline for it. It's a 4 speed car with the 12-bolt posi rear. I think it gets the SST wheels or possibly dog dishes. No stripes. I just have to paint the body and get it all fitted, then it's outta my hands

Sounds like a great car.

Curious about the metal work -- is it common to have someone else install quarters, floors, trunk pan, etc, and then hand it off to someone else for final bodywork and paint? In my experience the same person/shop did it all, but I guess if you have someone you trust for metal work, that's not necessary.

Thanks

Scott
72 Alfa Romeo GT 1300, Amaranth Red/Tan
66 Fairlane GT Convt, 428, 4 sp, Black/Black/Red
68 GTO Convt, Owner Built 455/TH400, Nordic Blue/White/Parchment
71 Javelin Road Race Project, Owner Built 401, T-10, 9"

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm
Probably not common practice. The people I'm working for needed a guy who could fill, prime, and paint... works for me.

They do a great job on the panel patching and replacement, so it's a win - win situation. :allgood:

Got 2 coats of high build on the shell today btw. Block it out on Friday

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:22 pm
Got the body shell 95% ready for paint, and all the jambs painted and cleared. Just waiting for a decent day to get it outside and get the bolt on panels back on it. Probably will be Wed.. I also have to paint the dash and the rear window panel... waiting on special paint.
Recent pics>>> http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/andyspaintshop/library/1969%20442?sort=3&page=1

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects