First Paint Job - 72 Alfa Romeo GT in Naples, Italy!

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:14 pm
Fellas (and ladies?) -

I'm active duty military, currently stationed in Naples, Italy. Have a few musclecars back home (68 GTO convt, Nordic Blue/White/Parchment, built 455, TH400; 66 Fairlane GT convt, Black/Black/Red, built 428, 4 sp; 71 Javelin road race project, 401, 4 sp, NASCAR 9"), but thought I would buy something local to restore here.

Here I am with the CFO and our daughter at the Colosseum -- Rome is only about 2.5 hours from here.

And our rental house in the Naples suburbs; the garage takes up the basement level.

After quite a bit of research, I found the "sweet spot" for character, looks, aftermarket support, affordability, etc -- the "smooth nose" Alfa Romeo GT Junior produced from 1970-1975. Projects can be had for about $6k, but I paid about twice that for mine. It was a fairly solid (relative term -- these cars have rust issues) and original car with only one repaint evident. Was running and driving, but now I've started to completely disassemble it.

Here it is as I found it at the prior owner's house in Pozzuoli, Italy. About 20 minute drive from my house.

Plan is a complete restification -- won't be a concours correct trailer queen, but it will be a great looking little track day toy that will also be street legal. Plan is to take it back to the states when my tour here is done -- very easy to do as long as the car is 25 years old -- you don't have to worry about U.S. safety and smog standards.

BTW, these cars look great in "track day" configuration:

I have a large-ish and well equipped garage, and typically have done all work myself, except for body and paint. Have built numerous engines, transmissions, etc, and figure it's time to learn how to do bodywork and paint.

I have an 80 gallon Quincy 5 hp two stage compressor, Miller 211 MIG, angle grinders, cutoff wheel, DA sanders, sanding blocks, shot bag for metal forming, dollies, body hammers, spoons, etc, etc. Just need to order a few more things -- HF 30" brake and a stud gun. Car will need some new metal, and I think I'm ready for that.

More to follow!

Scott
72 Alfa Romeo GT 1300, Amaranth Red/Tan
66 Fairlane GT Convt, 428, 4 sp, Black/Black/Red
68 GTO Convt, Owner Built 455/TH400, Nordic Blue/White/Parchment
71 Javelin Road Race Project, Owner Built 401, T-10, 9"

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:25 pm
So far, I've pulled out the rubber floor mats and seats and started working on the tar on the floors. The floors are original, but do have some "ventilation" in the front pans. I was really pleased to see the holes (no kidding!) since it indicated to me that the car had the original pans and I wouldn't be repairing someone else's shoddy work. The black area in the picture below is the bare metal under the tar.

Got the glass out and did some picking at the worst spots on the car. Like I said, it will need some new metal, but I've seen a LOT worse.

This is the base of the C pillar on the driver's side -

At the base of the rear glass on the driver's side -

Decklid -

Plan is to completely disassemble the car, strip to bare metal, and re-assemble with larger engine (2.0 liter from same year replacing the 1.3), cage, upgraded suspension and brakes.

Thanks for following along.

Scott

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm
that's actually a pretty cool car. Not a huge fan of alfa rameo but cool :wink:
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 pm
I like it! Would look great like that black one you pictured. Where are you going to spray it?

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:31 am
Mike95Dodge wrote:that's actually a pretty cool car. Not a huge fan of alfa rameo but cool :wink:

Thanks, I'm partial to them as well. At 2,000 lbs and 2.0 liters, it's a lot different than the 3500+ lbs and 7+ liters I'm used to working on.

Scott

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:35 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:I like it! Would look great like that black one you pictured. Where are you going to spray it?

Not sure yet on where to spray it. Leaning towards a homemade booth in the garage.

Will probably go with a factory color -- right now I'm leaning towards metallic olive -- like the car in this thread -- http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-ro ... 600-a.html

Thanks,

Scott

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:40 am
Nice project. As for the color I'm with Novafreek on the black being a better choice.
Of course its your car so whatever you want is what matters. The olive green is too light IMHO and takes away some of the dignity of the GT.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Nice project. As for the color I'm with Novafreek on the black being a better choice.
Of course its your car so whatever you want is what matters. The olive green is too light IMHO and takes away some of the dignity of the GT.

I've seen the olive cars in person here, and they do look nice. It will be several months before I have to make a final decision. All I can say right now is that it will not be red. Too many red ones out there.

Thanks, and love your R/T. Still miss my 71 GTX, black/black, 440/4bbl, hemi 4 speed, spoilers, air grabber, track pack w/3.54 Dana, gauges, etc. Had a 68 hemi RR, too. Original 383 car with a strong pump gas hemi w/solid roller, aluminum heads, etc.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:59 am
Wow, those are some nice Mopars you had.
I miss a few of my old Muscle cars and wonder why I ever sold them. Who knew they would be worth so much money today?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
Italy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Wow, those are some nice Mopars you had.
I miss a few of my old Muscle cars and wonder why I ever sold them. Who knew they would be worth so much money today?

I bought the 68 as completed car, just needed a bit of sorting out. Bought it to drive because at the time I had about 10 cars that I was working on (few 66-67 Fairlanes, a few 69 Judges and a 69 GTO, GTX, 66 SS396 Chevelle) and didn't have anything to drive. Only drove it a handful of times in 2 years so I sold it. Went to Norway or Sweden. Looked stock, with bench seat interior, shift on the column, etc. but had been mini tubbed and had subframe connectors. Looked stock under the hood, too, with exhaust manifolds, painted CNC ported aluminum heads, etc.

I bought the 71 GTX in Northern VA in 2006 or so (date stamp on the picture is incorrect). Had been sitting in a garage since the 70's. Super solid car. It was a keeper, but sold it to finance restoration of my 70 RAIV GTO.

Here she is sitting in the garage -

Heres the 70 RAIV GTO. Restoration got out of control -- was going to do a basic frame-off in the garage myself, then sent the shell to a buddy to paint, then told him to step it up to Concours Gold standards, then told him to try for Best of Show. Won Best Concurs Restored at 2013 GTOAA Nationals out of 93 other cars. Was in Muscle Car Review several months ago, right after I sold it.

Scott
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects