1974 SD TA

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 pm
I did a little shade tree painting today. Shot a couple of coats of build primer on my fenders and the header panel. The primer is Tamco HP 5310 that I ordered from the online store here. And the price is right at $100 a gallon. Gotta say it went down easy using a Eastwood Concours gun with the 1.8 cap/needle setup. I had to run the pressure a little higher because my first spray on a test panel had pretty bad orange peel. But with higher pressure and a slower gun movement it flowed out pretty well. Considering I have no idea what I'm doing I'd give it a thumbs up for being user friendly.

I've still got a lot of parts to prime so I'm sure I'll get better with experience. This stuff today has just a hint of orange peel but when I went back after a few hours it looked even flatter than the second photo shows.

I think I'll hit the doors tomorrow, weather is supposed to cooperate.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 pm
I use the 5311 and found I have a bad habit of putting in on a tad heavy . I just sand it flat . I got a car by the time I get done with it I may have a trench wore in the floor . I also noticed the closer you get to the right temperature the better it does . Been hard to get the right temp. here even in the shop with the exhaust going.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 pm
I learned one thing on the last car I did. Temperatures in the mid-70's and low humidity make it much easier. We get very little of that in Arkansas so I purposely picked this weekend. Today was 65 degrees and 25% humidity. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tad warmer and about the same on humidity.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 pm
Looks great!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:21 pm
sdcritter wrote:I learned one thing on the last car I did. Temperatures in the mid-70's and low humidity make it much easier. We get very little of that in Arkansas so I purposely picked this weekend. Today was 65 degrees and 25% humidity. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tad warmer and about the same on humidity.

I'm pulling for you . I am going to hit it here tomorrow evening too.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:33 pm
Hey Chris, do the folks at Tamco sell BC/CC for customers?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:36 pm
Sure, I carry their clears here at the online store.

And hidden in there is a link for their base system. Basically you let me know the year/make and paint code and I will get you a quote on a gallon of base.

https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... ar-to-ppg/

Please read the description carefully as pricing varies by paint code...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:59 pm
Thanks. That's good to know. I probably won't do the final painting on this. I have a brother in law who restores cars for a living and this one needs to be right when it's done so I'm planning on getting it blocked out in the final build primer and turning it over to him. Of course he uses top of the line stuff for what he does since his customers are willing to pay. But I'm a cheap SOB so he's waiting to see what my reaction is to the TAMCO products. So far, so good. I might just purchase the BC/CC as well so we can see what we think. Maybe I can convert him.

What I'll be looking for is the old GM paint code 11. White. Cameo white in 1974 when my car was built by Pontiac.

If anyone is interested here's the whole build thread:

http://transamcountry.com/community/ind ... ic=67963.0

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:08 pm
One step forward... you know the rest.

I put the doors on work stands, planning on priming them today. As I was going over them for a final check prior to wipe down with wax and grease remover I spotted a problem. The metal where the door handle recesses into the door was cracked and the part inside the door that the handle mechanism bolts to had one side missing. WTH? How did i miss that during all of this prep work? In the photo you can see where I've already drilled the end of the crack. I should have known to look for it as the old paint had cracked at that exact spot.

Luckily I have a junk door that I'm using as a test panel and the portion inside the recess was whole. I cut out the new piece from it to replace the broken section where the door handle mechanism bolts on. Folks, this is some super thin metal.This was perhaps the most delicate welding job I've done so far. Here's how it looked after everything was welded up and dressed with an angle grinder and some 36 grit discs.

Now I have to fill and sand that area again before I can use primer. Oh well. better to find it now than later.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:48 pm
I ordered Base coat and clear coat directly from Tamco. They mixed up a custom color for me that so far is looking real nice(they turned a tri stage pearl, into a base/clear). The price was great and they shipped really fast. Much cheaper than what I had been quoted from other places. Great people to deal with.

BTW...I did order the Tamco primer from the store here, but I was unaware that you could get base coats for us as well. I like buying through the store, I figure it helps support the site.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects