1974 SD TA

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm
Duh! Picture would have helped.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm
If its raw plastic you will need an adhesion promoter first.
I like to use epoxy primer after that since it remains somewhat flexible.

This question is probably already answered in the Fiberglass and Plastic Section.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:27 am
Thanks. I have some endura material parts as well and I had already been told to use adhesion promotor and epoxy on those as well. I kinda figured that might be the case here. This car has such a weird mix of materials on it with metal, endura, ABS plastic and what not. It is a challenge.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:43 pm
You folks might get a kick out of this. When I restored this car the first time, back in the 90's, I had to patch the lower quarter on the passenger side. When I cut out the rusted lower a big chunk of concrete came with it. I guessed that the previous owner had hauled some Quickcrete in the trunk and a bag must have busted open. So when I removed the driver's side quarter to replace it this time guess what I found?

I've been working on smearing on dry guide coat and sanding down all the parts that have the Tamco build primer on them.

Sanding is easy and when I start breaking through to metal I stop. I figure at that point I need to fill the low spots and then go for another round of build primer. That's metal showing through on either side of the low spot in the middle. The filler is Evercoat Rage Gold. It's pretty easy to work with as well. I'm also using the Evercoat glaze putty on the minor lows and imperfections.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:11 pm
I hit a milestone today. I officially have one part ready for paint!

The deck lid, fenders and header panel got a second round of build primer. The header panel is good to go. I thought the deck lid was probably ready to go as well but I was wrong. There was another round of filling and sanding on it this afternoon. I can actually see a couple of places on the fenders that I know will have to get more love. Got to keep on stroking.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:15 am
This attention to detail on the prep work will pay off big time in the finished product.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 am
I sanded out one of the fenders last night. It was much closer to "done" than I thought. Some minor putty filling and I think it will be ready to seal.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:09 pm
Sanded out the other fender tonight. It was bad in all the spots I thought it would be. More filling and sanding done. At least the weather is cooperating.

Bonus day. FedX brought me another gallon of the Tamco build primer and a gallon of the epoxy to use as a sealer when I get some of this stuff to that stage.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 pm
I'm about to shoot some of the Tamco epoxy as a sealer. Anything special I need to know?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 pm
The weather has been screwing me up big time. Lots of rain and no way to move parts outside to sand and primer. But today was awesome so I burned a vacation day and got a lot of work done. Short story is that I'm in the home stretch on all the parts except for the hood and the body. So today I put a final 2 coats of build primer on all those parts.

First, I should tell you that I've finally found a use for my car trailer without a car.

I am doing this in a 2 car garage. Well, truth is it's half of that 2 car garage since my wife expects her Solstice to have the other half. So here's what it looks like when you try to prep a car for paint in half a garage.

I'm proud to say that these suckers will get a coat of epoxy as a sealer at some point this weekend. I've been through 2 rounds of build primer and sanding on most of these parts and 3 on the fenders. The rest of it has to get sanded out in the coming week. But I'm pretty sure it will all be ready to seal and send off for paint. If I can get all the parts out of the way I can get after the hood and body. I sure hope that light at the end of the tunnel isn't the proverbial train coming at me. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects