Prep Project 2001 Mustang - advice and help appreciated

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:33 pm
I had a laser red thunderbird and a red fire metallic pearl milan. They looked similar but I thought the red fire was more brilliant. Its a 2 stage paint code G2. You should be able to find it. Some of the lower end paint suppliers have a hard time mixing certain paints and it may look different than PPG of DuPont mixed colors.

You may want to brace yourself when they tell you the price. Reds tend to be priced very high.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm
Mkbrower wrote:I had a laser red thunderbird and a red fire metallic pearl milan. They looked similar but I thought the red fire was more brilliant. Its a 2 stage paint code G2. You should be able to find it. Some of the lower end paint suppliers have a hard time mixing certain paints and it may look different than PPG of DuPont mixed colors.

You may want to brace yourself when they tell you the price. Reds tend to be priced very high.

Thanks - will check out the red fire metallic - so far I have a quote of $400 per gallon for Laser Red E9 2 stage from Chris at the forum here.... will keep exploring options and make a decision as I get closer to applying basecoat

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:03 pm
This color works out really well with the PPG system. If your looking for a low price version Valspar will probably cost 1/2 that.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:09 pm
Temporary garage / spray booth is up !

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 pm
I keep sanding through the primer on these corners - better to respray or dip a cue tip in the primer and dab some on here ?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:16 pm
marshallpulham wrote:This color works out really well with the PPG system. If your looking for a low price version Valspar will probably cost 1/2 that.

For laser red E9 or the G2 redfire metallic ?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:46 pm
Elnico50 wrote:I keep sanding through the primer on these corners - better to respray or dip a cue tip in the primer and dab some on here ?

You need to re-spray. You should have a final coat of primer before wet sanding. With 600 grit it should take some effort to cut through the primer. I also use a very soft pad when hand sanding wet. Never the less, sand very lightly around sharp corners.
Also, don't forget to use a guide coat during your final sand.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:24 pm
My apologies I obviously didn't read carefully the paint code in my mind i was referring to was Ford RR Ruby Red.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:53 pm
Night setup

Sprayed a guide coat

Block sanded with 400 grit again , came through on some high spots which are the dark areas here, but all black guide coat is gone

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:00 pm
Have started to sand the deck lid and the rear bumper - don't want to go too heavy on the grit in case it scratches into the fiberglass and the plastic .... 220 seems to be ok , with 180 to knock down the peeling parts . Spider cracks in the bumper are coming out. Probably going to have to remove the bumper as the driver side corner is pushed in along with that section of the quarter panel.

I've cleared this week to work on this project, looking forward to progressing
Last edited by Elnico50 on Mon May 09, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects