04 durango front end damage seek advise !!

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 pm
hey guys
im fairly new to working on doing body work . however much motivated to lear and not afraid to work hard. so i bought this 04 red durango from auction . front end damage hood , left fender, no grill and bumper gone .. . i knew those those things will have to be repaired or replaced . however after removing the front bumper's impact absorber bracket : notice something dont look right !!! so got underneath just realize i believe this the right name for these parts "bumper impact insulator absorber shock" its two thick pipes looking things and ARE PART OF THE VEHICLES'S FRAME the one on the right its cracked its also bend some QUESTION : can this part be welded and streighten out and does any body has any idea how expensive will this be ? .....

gracias-

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:26 pm
Can you post some pictures?
Real hard to give advice on written description.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am
be glad to post pictures ! thanks
Attachments
20160824_081128.jpg
passenger side
20160824_081121.jpg
drivers side
20160824_082212.jpg
drivers side bend some too
20160824_081208.jpg
passenger side one worst. crack
20160824_081115.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:52 pm
Looks like they unbolt further up the frame. The name is rail package, look like they run about $500 a piece from dodge.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/sho ... gory=20301

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm
holly macro !! 500 a pop .. maybe I can find them in a junk yard . or I'm thinking about going to a frame shop here in dallas area. see what that will cost to fix them. at least I have other options may be getting them from a salvage yard ..
got it running pretty good . now this ! ive put in over a 1000 bucks already.
621 at auction 150 towing 130 windshield 80 new key
right fender , hood , passenger door . bumper need work .
I have those parts I can repair them and paint them.. need to buy the bumper shock absorber bracket about 90 and hood grill 70 bucks and painting supplies how much for painting supplies ?
engine runs great 127k miles

is it worth it ? 2004 Durango 4.7 126k miles clean title

thanks . guys

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 pm
Junk yard or search craigslist for somebody parting one out would be the way to go.

That model Durango sells for $3-$4k around where I live.

Sounds like you haven't painted before. Do you already have the tools? That is the most expensive part of painting materials (compressor/gun). As far as primer/color/clear, probably somewhere in the $500 ballpark if you are only painting the repairs. I'm not anywhere close to an expert in repair quotes. Also gotta factor in respirator, sandpaper, body filler, tape, masking, etc. It adds up.

Is it worth it? Seems you should be able to have a decent SUV for a grand or two under book value, plus the "fun" of completing a project. I guess only you can answer that question. :wink:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:07 pm
i made an appoinment with a frame shop for tomorrow morning . im curious what tha will cost ? i m also going to place listed on craigslist parting out a 04 durango in dallas .
i have painted before about six months ago i did a service van that i bought at auction too. body repair work and painting using eposy primer and single stage urethane from eastwood
people say it dont look too bad.. i know its limited experience im willing to learn more thought.
guess i like to compare cost of having it done by company and the cost of getting those pieces from craigslist and work removing them and installing them back on my vehicle

i also already have a compressor " old basic compressor " used on the van job and have repirator too.. and other sand paper and filler too. il post tomoroorw what they tell me at the shop and prices at gettng parts my self at salvage yard..

thanks wainfiggity appreciate all your input..

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:07 pm
update : just came back form body shop that done some work for me in the past ..

those chasis rails ends are part of the whole chasis they are not de-attachable as we thought. so they to be have to be welded and straighten out . front end looks it moved 3 or 4" to the right form the collision. body shop wants 1200 for the chasis work including straighten out front end , body repairs painting on the fenders (both) hood and bumper .

is that a good price ??
or any ideas how to straighten out the front end to those rail ends so the front end looks sqaure ? :)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:28 pm
If you want to try to do the work for cheap, you can get a cable winch puller from harbor freight for about $20. Find a good tree or post to yank against.

come-a-long.png
come-a-long.png (117.18 KiB) Viewed 6438 times

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-cabl ... 69854.html

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 pm
thats exactly what i was thinking Wainfigitty..
here is my plann:
a) buying a new bumper reinforcemnet inpact bar .

i dont know how to weld . so im looking for somebody at craiglist to come out and weld rail package
one is cracked one its bend " il have to loosen them from any bolts or brackets holding them.
we have to set them straight so they both can be welded to frame and set new bumper impact bar make sure hole patterns line up..

them with cable winch pull the right front body towards sideway so both sides fenders look straight and hood latch can close ( i dont have access any trees around here so i may have to substitue with my service van rear bumber bracket tie the cabl to it ) -- il take a picture tomorrow so it makes sence what im talking about :idea:
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects