Tamco Universal Clear on my Grandson's Jeep

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:01 pm
Okay, so a year or so ago I got some Tamco Universal Clear from Chris here at the Forum. I have actually been using it for a few oddball metal projects here and there in my wood shops just waiting for something normal (auto related) to come along to really give it a test. And... ta da! My grandson's piece of crap Jeep Grand Cherokee comes along needing a driver's side door. Honestly, this is a pretty nice $1000 vehicle he has been driving to and from college, work, etc., for 3 years now so fingers just crossed it gets him out of college in the next year and a half..... :happy: So the door mech. was just mangled, failing hinges, etc., on this thing....he'd been checking through the internet daily for awhile and bingo!.... he finds a hit at one of our local salvage yards for the EXACT door with all the right power options, yeah! plug and play but it has some of the dullest white paint I've ever seen on it. Hmmmm.... took a rag with some fairly hot lacquer thinner and the white just wipes off revealing this original silver color.

First shot shows door mounted with just starting to seal with a leftover can of catalyzed 2k epoxy sealer before moving on.... car was pretty straight ( and he is, of course pressing me to have this done before school starts this Friday) so we decided to just go base/clear. I had already picked up my base a month ago and had the Tamco Universal Clear on hand so we were good to go....
I've got to tell you, guys, please get rid of your rattle cans.... If we had 4 hours in this whole project I would be surprised. I actually "tried" to do this as simply as possible to prove a couple of points.... #1. You need a big compressor and expensive gun to do this level of work- I used my $128 EVO LVLP gun (1.4 tip) to shoot this with my small 4 h.p. 30 gallon compressor. It used a whopping 1/2 pint of base (3 coats) and about 16 ounces of clear (3 coats) and that included doing the jams/door frame, etc. #2. You always have to blend.... Well, not always... this thing had been garaged most of its' life before he got it so, hey, I just buffed up the surrounding panels, shot the door, and good enough....
Okay, so what's the Tamco Universal Clear like?.... To me it was like a cross between ********** Universal Clear and PPG 2021. It laid down very glasslike quick like the ********** but was a little harder to cut and buff....the upside to that being it seems like a harder cured coating to me. All and all I would highly recommend it as I have also shot it with turbine guns and got the same consistent results as the LVLP gun used here.
Attachments
Grandson Before.jpg
Our $175 score, just sealing here....
Grandson After.jpg
Done, minor denib and light buff to match factory orange peel...
Grandson After outside.jpg
Okay, now comes the rain.... but it looks good..
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:51 pm
Thanks for the write up. I haven't tried Tamco's universal clear yet but I did like the HC-4100 that I used.

So are you getting a full summer's worth of lawn mowing for your labor?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Ha, ha.... now that's funny..... :rotfl: Nope, no freebies from this kid. Actually he is incredibly good at wood spot repair so when he's not buried in 18 credit hours of college I take him with me on the road. He can cut time down on my jobs by about 2/3rds because he goes ahead of me doing fill/prep. work.
You know I was really surprised at how "user friendly" this Tamco clear was. It shoots very much like the high solids catalyzed furniture grade lacquer we use in-shop. Even more surprising is that it doesn't require any of the usual mod.s for my 4 stage turbine gun set-up either.
I'm hoping to do an overall shoot late spring/summer on a Dodge Charger Hemi kit truck I want to build. This pretty much is making up my mind I will go Tamco start to finish on it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects