Lenny B's First Restoration Project - 1968 Mustang

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:24 am
Well made a little more progress. This week I rebuilt the door hinges, and then test fitted the doors and fenders. I also decided to go 1968 dark Highland Green for the paint. I tried to spray the original Seafoam Green on a test panel but could not get the tone just right. It just looked to pastel for me. I do like how the PPG Shopline JB base looked in 1968 Dark Highland Green. It took 6 coats minimum for coverage. Third pick is the test panel in Dark Highland. Also attached is the final look I'm going for except mine will be a coupe version. Hopefully changing the color from the original doesn't hurt the value. I do not plan on selling it anyway. I think I'll add the GT emblems as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Attachments
1.JPG
Test Fit Drivers
1.JPG (73.3 KiB) Viewed 973 times
2.JPG
Test Fit Passengers
2.JPG (67.34 KiB) Viewed 973 times
3.JPG
Test Panel
3.JPG (55.77 KiB) Viewed 973 times
4.jpg
The Goal
4.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 973 times

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm
Sorry Lenny but all the paint in the world won't make that coupe a fastback. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 am
Okay, you got me. Too funny.

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 pm
Managed to put in another day in on my 68' coupe. Stripped the under side of the hood using a sandblaster and sander, just to find some rust under the front molding. I cut the bad area out and installed a patch. 12 hours to strip, patch, and epoxy it. There has to be a faster way! Next up will be the deck lid. The under sides are a lot more work than the top sides due to all the crevices and bends.
Attachments
hood-02.jpg
hood-02.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 805 times
hood-03.jpg
hood-03.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 805 times
hood-04.jpg
hood-04.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 805 times
hood-05.jpg
hood-05.jpg (62.22 KiB) Viewed 805 times
hood-06.jpg
hood-06.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 805 times

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 am
Just a suggestion but when you open up a panel like that to remove rust, it is always a good idea to brush or spray some epoxy primer in there. Not necessary but it does add some protection against future rust and a little peace of mind.

Project is looking real good and yes, it takes time but you will get faster.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Inglewood, CA
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:15 pm
Project looking great. Man that car looks like it was in good condition to start with. Nice project.

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 am
Well after taking most of the summer off to spend time with the kids and do some bass fishing I'm back in the garage. I decided to build a simple paint booth with intake and exhaust to try and keep things clean. I also finished all the metal work, filler, and epoxy. Today I will apply two full coats of poly primer and start the blocking process. Hoping to have the paint complete by Easter including under body and engine bay.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 156 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 156 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 156 times

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm
Well I applied two coats of Polyester Primer (Feather Fill G2) to the cab and then blocked the entire cab with 180 grit. I had to touch up a few divots I found along the way with spot putty. It took about 8 full hours to block the entire cab. Next up will be to touch up any spots where I hit metal with epoxy then apply two full coats of urethane prime and start the blocking process all over.
Attachments
polyester-primer-blocking-01.JPG
polyester-primer-blocking-01.JPG (69.92 KiB) Viewed 74 times
polyester-primer-blocking-02.JPG
polyester-primer-blocking-02.JPG (65.1 KiB) Viewed 74 times
polyester-primer-blocking-03.JPG
polyester-primer-blocking-03.JPG (53.4 KiB) Viewed 74 times
polyester-primer-blocking-04.JPG
polyester-primer-blocking-04.JPG (70.32 KiB) Viewed 74 times

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 pm
Nice rotisserie, I'm envious!

Looks like you are making good progress. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Top Contributor
Posts: 3825
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 am
Nice Project
Looking good wasn't bad to start with, That's the way to do it Start with a nice car to start with and Make it Perfect.
Dennis Barnett
A&P Mechanic, FCC General radio Telephone Operator
American airlines, Line Maintenance A&P Mechanic & MOC Maintenance Operation Control Tech specialist
Allegiant airlines, Northern air cargo.
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests