The BIG project thread

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 am
The additive is probably good but you still have to buy oil, so why not get the oil that does the job.
If you have to order it, I have found the oil warehouse to have good pricing. It comes in 12 quart case, but chances are that you might not put enough miles on it in 6 months and need to change to more break in oil.
http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=/st ... AE_30.html

and even cheaper after break in
http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=/st ... e_Oil.html

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:16 am
I'm going to try to drive it quite a bit for a while. The cabin is 100 miles away so a few trips there will help. It'll cost a king's ransom in gas though, high octane premium is almost $6 a gallon and I will probably get around 10 mpg :knockout: :knockout:
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 am
Rob I had a 67 Buick and got 14 so don't be so pessimistic. I drove it hard like i do everything else I have owned. :shocked: :shocked: It does have duel exhaust doesn't it? :rockon:
it needs to be lowered with big and littles. .

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:54 am
Actually Doug I'm being optimistic, I was getting 7mpg before :shocked: :splat:

Remember this is a 425 nailhead, notoriously bad mileage motor. I think by 67 they had switched to the conventional style engine, the 430 being the big motor.

I'm hoping with the motor being tighter it will be better. :goodjob:

...and yes it has dual exhaust, stainless yet :happy: :happy:
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:20 pm
Hmmmmmmmmm I think you are correct. . . That was a long time ago. :whoops: :whoops: Nice car though a Electra 2DR midnight blue with black interior, wish I still had it. :happy:

If I remember correct you have a big Q Jet, has it been gone through? Seems they always had a leak in a plug under the fuel bowl that gave them MISSERABLE gas mileage. I think I still have a repair kit for that. :shocked: I know I still have some jets and metering rods laying around in my tool box that I used to dial them in. :knockout: :knockout: That was always a big pain to do but would really pay off :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: . I know if you work with them and keep your foot out of those buckets for secondaries you can get them close to running them like it was fuel injection. :happy:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 pm
I honestly don't know if the carb's been worked on. The guy I bought it from owned it for 30 years and was pretty picky about everything so quite possibly. He spent $1600 on the stainless exhaust so that'll never be an issue :bighug:

I used to have a 63 Riv with the slightly smaller 401 nailhead, only got 9 mpg from that one. This one had a fair amount of blowby so I'm pretty sure I'll get up to double digit mileage, sure hope so. I'm not a carb guy so if I started to tinker I'd probably just make things worse :flatten: :flatten:
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm
I am no carb guy either but because I couldn't afford a real carb guy I got very familiar with the Q Jet and like I said they are about as close to EFI as you can get. :happy: :happy: Most guys hate The Q Jet. :realmad: :realmad: But, if you take your time you can get the Q Jet dialed in perfectly and at the same time fix the main design flaw with them, which is leaking. :knockout: :knockout: You can't see the leak because it is under the carb body and above the throttle plate. I wont say more but if you eventually get interested I am here and there are tons of help on the web. :allgood: If that is the original carb I bet you need it looked at by a real Q Jet professional (that loves them :wink: ) or your "very patient" self. :bighug:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Ok, you have my attention. So how would I know if it was leaking and if it was what do you do to fix it? As the carb isn't even on yet this would be an ideal time to fix that issue.
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:20 pm
This is a good article and should give you some things to look for. If you were to have all this done it would, I expect would cost a bit of money. Last one I touched was in 1998 so I am very rusty but here again it really does improve things. :knockout: :knockout: :rockon: :happy:

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/index.html

picture of where they leak :splat:

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/photo_12.html

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:45 pm
Thanks Doug, I'll check it out
Rob
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects