The BIG project thread

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:30 pm
Your driveway looked pretty rough all right, much better now. I love that panel, there's a lot of cars and trucks I always wanted but an old panel truck is one that I will one day get to. There's one up island not far from me, not sure what year, between 48 - 52, it's absolutely mint, it's at a road side farm and has advertising for the farm on the side of it. I'll have to take a picture of it one day.

In my experience you really do tend to get what you pay for, almost anytime I've bought a cheap tool I've regretted it. If you can't afford it, fair enough, but you're better off to wait until you can otherwise you'll have to pay for it twice.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 pm
I'd love to see a pic of the panel if you can get a shot of it!! I actually got pulled over by the cops in my panel once. The reason they pulled me over? They didn't know what it was. Go figure. I guess they just aren't very common at all. Better than getting pulled over for speeding I guess!! :D

The driveway was awful. My neighbor started on it without me (I had to pick up my mom or something), and he had it all out three hours later. Turns out that there wasn't much concrete in that driveway after all. We poured a good 4" slab, reinforced with wire, and also poured a 4"curb (also reinforced), separating my driveway from his lawn. I want to say that we used a total of four full pallets of concrete.

A couple of guys I know were asking why I'd buy an EconoTIG, when one of the import inverter machines would do the same job for less money. I told them that I didn't want to look for replacement parts if I needed them, I wanted to buy replacement parts...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:00 pm
One of these days I'll get a shot of it, it isn't always there especially when we're heading back down and on the right side of the highway. They have a couple of old trucks that just sit there, not running but in decent shape, a 35 or so and something closer to 40, I'll have to get pics of them too.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 pm
Please do!! Wouldn't be surprised if the farm had those since they were new...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:12 pm
We're heading up island Friday, we have a cabin in the woods a couple of hours from here, I'll stop and take some pics if it's there, it's bright orange and usually has a bright orange bowler trailer attached to it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:38 pm
Awesome!!

I'll be posting some pix shortly of the tacks on the console and base. I'm probably going to have to have him come back for one more test fit before it's ready to go in permanently...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 pm
OK, I'm the first to admit that these are pix of some welds that are not my best work. But, knowing the customer's not too picky, I'm not worried.

Ever have one of those days where everything, while not a complete disaster, doesn't quite work out as well as it should? That was today for me...

Here's the big, ugly super tack on the backside of the console:

And the same on the front:

Here's the left side extension/transition tacked in:

Half welded:

And done with the left side:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 am
Ever have one of those days? Are you kidding, almost every day was one of those days on the Camaro :lol: When I was doing the body work, I had one of the doors all done ready for paint and it fell off the stand :shock: Had the engine all buttoned up, just need to rotate the crank to get #1 piston to TDC to put the distributor in, and the fricking thing is seized! It wasn't seized a few months ago, hence the new crate motor. Something like this happened literally ever step of the way, the car did not want to be restored.

Is the console going to be covered in carpet or are you going to polish it or?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:37 am
The door: The same thing happened during the last round of work on the '56, which would have been mid-late '03. I had replace the inner and outer door bottoms, and they came out pretty decent. I had a little warpage, and the edge of the replacement panel wasn't quite straight, so I decided to try my hand at lead work for the first time. It took a day and a half or so, but it all came out perfectly. Until I accidentally kick the saw horses out from under the door, ruining it. D'oh!!

I also found gaping holes in both the lower cowls of the '56. But that's another story.

The front and rear of the console won't be seen, because the front is mostly under the dash, and the rear butts up under the upper lip of the seat. The lower sides will be covered in carpet, but that kinda crooked weld will be seen.

No polish, just scuffed with a maroon prep disc. He wanted sort of an industrial look, and really likes the scuffed look. When it comes back for all the other stuff (in a couple years), it'll get painted white pearl, and then pinstriped.

I'm not real wild about how it's turning out...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:01 am
Why don't you grind that side weld down as flush as you can?
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects