First paint job....

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:47 am
Another thing that I had to figure out was the primer speed. In the pic below you can see where I started to slow and of course....a run. After I got that figured out I was able to proceed without any other runs. Put on 3 coats of primer with a 50% overlap allowing about 10 minutes of flash time between coats. Hit my T top with the hose once...well that and the run will have to be fixed and reprimed when I shoot the main body next week.
DSC_0423 (Small).JPG
Give a man a brush, and he will paint a Picasso.
Give a man a spray gun, and the wife better hide the car.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:53 am
All and all I don't think it came out too bad for a first primer job...
DSC_0415 (Small).JPG
DSC_0421 (Small).JPG
DSC_0422 (Small).JPG
DSC_0425 (Small).JPG

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:12 pm
Looks great!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:27 pm
Yep, looking really good.... I laid some of my "filters" over those last pic.s and I don't think you are going to have much fiberglass "wave" to deal with at all. Somebody must have taken pretty good care of that car over the years. Vettes that set outside can have all kinds of problems over time. Can't wait to see this car done.... :happy:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:21 pm
Thank you both for the encouraging words....have another newbie question. Upon inspection after the panels dried, I noted that I have a few small places that I missed on the underside. I believe this is due to my work place being too congested. I have decided that I will fix what needs to be fixed on the panels and reshoot them separate from when I do the body next week. I am going to move the vette out of the garage and build a few more support benches so that I can have a 360 degree access to each separate panel easily. Should have done that in the beginning. My question is....I purchased a cheap set of spray guns ($89) with the intention of only using the primer gun with the 1.8 tip. I will buy a quality gun for the basecoat. It also included a base gun with a 1.4 tip and a small detail gun with a 1.0 tip. Could I use this detail gun with the 1.0 tip for touch up or will the primer be too thick and clog the tip? If I could it would certainly be a lot easier to handle and more spot on accurate. I am also worried about around the back window on the body....I can just see the runs now due to the contour.......Thanks.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:11 am
Okay, you can certainly give it a try. I've done it with some primers no problems, others can spit. Make absolutely sure that you have removed any "internal" filter from the base (if it's a gravity gun design of course) of the cup. Next, I don't know if you have access to one or own one but I have an air powered paint shaker that I always use and with primers I let them go for about 10 minutes. If you can, also do a slight reduction to the primer for this gun. That should make it sprayable without sacrificing its' build characteristics. Hell, if I can get primer through a Preval sprayer you should be able to get a 1.0 to kick it out.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 am
:splat: OK Darrel...need some help here.....Think I screwed up a bit. In an effort to remove as much sanding residue as I could I invested in some brand new towels at Walmart to go over the body with. Unknowingly to me what do I have now......FUZZIES!!! They can be sanded off but I will not use the towels again....what should I use???? Don't want this in my base paint. The primer shows every flaw that I will now have to spend the rest of the week fixing and touch up....which I planned to do anyway. Live and learn I guess. The fuzzies are not over the entire car, just in a few places.
DSC_0429 (Small).JPG
DSC_0430 (Small).JPG

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:39 pm
OK, I am done having a heart attack, the fuzzies sand right off.....will not use those towels again though. Now after I have started sanding I realize why the call high build primer spray on body filler. The HOK primer is easy enough to sand and although they say not to in some areas I could not help but sand down to the glass....especially where there is a groove or ridge. Will I be OK putting a "patch" of primer over these places and gingerly resanding???? I am tempted to give the whole care another shot but that is going to put me back a bit time wise although I don't want to do this job twice.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 pm
First, no stuff that sheds! Really, auto quality tack cloths only from now on. Primer, sure, you can spot it in, just spread the area out well so like everything else it "feathers" into place. No reason though that you can't hit it again overall, but that's your call. It wont' hurt but it may not be needed either. Try not to let a "schedule" rush you in making decisions like that. Schedules are "loose" at best when it comes to paint and body work.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm
OK, told the wife today the schedule is in the toilet. I have never sanded on something so much in my whole life....been sanding since 12 noon yesterday. The more I sand, the more I find, the more I fix. Have the doors and the hood remaining. Decided I am going to give the whole bundle another thick coat of primer...I have about a quart left and ordered 2 more quarts. I keep finding small pinholes and dings in my fiberglass....not big but enough to aggravate me. I fixed alot of them but don't think I will be able to fix them all. I am hoping the extra layer of high build primer along with the multiple coats of paint will fill them in a bit. I ordered my paint last night. Going again with HOK. The Shimrin 2 Kandy wild cherry only comes in quarts at a cost of $125/quart. I also ordered a gallon of jet black base which I will have to spray on before the cherry. Since all the paint is reduced at a 2:1 ratio I figured that 1 gallon of each should do it. Also ordered a gallon of urethane show clear. I choose the DeVilbiss starting line spray gun and detail gun, hope this will do the job. I also redesignated the Walmart towels as dog driers. Stopped by the auto store today and bought some quality auto towels and had the wife wash them first. Can't believe I did that.....well at least the dog is dry now.
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic