2008 Honda Odyssey Rear Bumper Cover - OEM Repaint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:04 pm
Hi Guys, This is my first post on the forum. I have done my homework searching about to do this project but I want guidance from the experts. In advance I want to thanks every one's input.

I bought my 2008 Odyssey in feb. 2014. Rear bumper was good as new for a few months. After almost 10 months, I notice that the clear coat & paint was starting to bubble up right under the black part (cap, rear bumper). After a week the paint started to come off. To this point the paint is not coming off anymore (or at least look like it) The clear coat was also peeling off in some areas around the "black cap".

My plan was to put the van inside the garage, mask the whole back (trunk, lights, and part of the bumper not affected) and cover the area around the trunk with a PVC frame and plastic wrap to avoid any dust or bugs around. Remove the black cap on the bumper cover, sand the affected area with 600 grit, to make the area even, then apply color (using spray can color prepared by code from an auto paint supply) and then spray clear coat (also in spray can) sand area with 1000 or 1500 grit, then compound and polish.

What do you think?

Thanks in the advance!
Attachments
IMG_20160818_172832.jpg
IMG_20160818_172827.jpg
IMG_20160818_172822.jpg
IMG_20160818_172814.jpg
IMG_20160818_172804.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:44 pm
Well, not a good plan.... on a wear area like that aerosols will in short time put you right back where you are at. That is assuming your are talking about 1k aerosol products. There were so many of these vehicles produced that it would probably be a lot better to look around for the entire bumper cover at a pick and pull. You'd be surprised you might find a pretty good one in your paint code. A good place to start is.... www.car-parts.com
Now if you are still intent on working what you've got check out a special at like a Maaco or even a local "garage painter." You could still do your own prep. but have someone else do the shoot with the right stuff.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 am
It might be easier to remove the bumper completely, instead of masking the whole van up.

If you do do this, the paint will have to be feathered out then you'll have to spray adhesion promoter on the bare plastic.

You will be there sanding with 600 trying to feather it out.

I suggest you feather it out with 220/320 then work your way up to 600.
Sand the whole bumper with 1000 grit, blend your paint in and clear coat all of it.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 pm
Thanks guys for all the great info. I'm going to go ahead and figure out what I'm going to do with that bumper. As soon as I get some result i'll post the pictures.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic