Newbie painting fiberglass bus panels

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:12 am
That's on the cool side for shooting. You have to watch it with modern paint systems and cold. In fact you need to make sure that not only is the material warm that you are shooting but the object you are applying the material to is warm as well before and after the shoot. So much of modern paints are cross linked that when you get below 50 they just don't harden and cure. Even 60 slows them down (depending on the formulation) considerably. I like to have the car in the garage warmed up to about 70 for at least 24 hours before the shoot and keep up those temps. for a few days after, then tapering off to maybe 65 or less past that.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:32 am
Well, I got both the yellow and red shot on the bus. It looks great.
I was able to get the shop up to 65 and keep it there all day.
IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

Going to shoot clear this afternoon.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:32 pm
Question- when I wet send the red base coat (with 2000 grit) I notice that the color has a dullness to it. Will the clear coat make it shine? The base is smooth, just dull.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:46 pm
If you sand the base you will need to coat it again before clear

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:50 pm
Note to self...make sure you're actually grabbing the 2000 grit sandpaper and not the 500 grit. :(

Smoothed it out with the right stuff and shot clear coat today. All in all, I think it came out pretty good. Definitely good enough to tailgate.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

DarrelK, I really appreciate the help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:02 am
Well, it looks good but one of the new guys here tried to catch you on this..... You never sand color base coat in a base/clear system. You only do very minor de-nibbing here or there. The general rule is if the base is that rough, you can sand it, but must re-base again. So what can happen? You can have delamination problems down the road however a lot of that has to do with how aggressively you sanded that base.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 pm
Well, wish I would've seen that before I went and shot the clear. I did not get aggressive with the sanding. I just did a quick wet sand. Again, I looks good and it's just a tailgating bus.

I guess, if I have problems with delamination later on, we'll just do it all again.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic