Sand, Repair, And Paint a pair of Rubber's made Side skirts

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

France
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:05 pm
Hello everybody

I need your help, one more time :D

I have bought a pair of side skirts , made of Hard rubber, for my Bmw Hartge, But i need some advice to renovate them .

here are some pictures :

They are in bad condition, as you can see, the former paint didn't stick to the skirts at all, so there are a lot of cracks etc.. I have to put a new paint on it for sure ,

But there is an area where the rubber is missing, here is a picture, do you know if there are any rubber filler to fix it ?

I plan to use 240 grit on orbital sander to strip down the paint but i really don't know how to prime it and paint it, do i need any flex agent ? Will i have to use normal or special rubber primer ( if it exist ) ?

Thanks you very much for reading, and i hope that you can help me to deal with this !

Have a nice day :D

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:24 pm
Marhyde used to have a product called urethane parts stripper,that might be your best bet to get the layers of paint off.You need to be careful with flex additives,depending on the manufacturer some will last and others will not.Many flex additives were designed to keep a bumper cover flexible for a couple of days so the tech could get the bumper installed and once fully cured the flex would be gone.If you have no choice but to sand them start with 180 and see what happens.If you want to go the flex route you will have to add flex to your primer,sealer,and clear to work,but this depends on what system you are using.

Settled In

France
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:12 pm
Hi, i didn't see that i had an answer on this post, thanks you Jayson M and sorry for being late ..

From now on, i've stripped the side skirt easily with 180 grit on orbital sander,it did it slowly, but it did it well !

Can i just follow the normal steps to paint these rubber skirts ? I mean, Epoxy, 2k, paint ? or do i need any product to seal the rubber ?

thanks you very much

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:44 pm
parera wrote:Hi, i didn't see that i had an answer on this post, thanks you Jayson M and sorry for being late ..

From now on, i've stripped the side skirt easily with 180 grit on orbital sander,it did it slowly, but it did it well !

Can i just follow the normal steps to paint these rubber skirts ? I mean, Epoxy, 2k, paint ? or do i need any product to seal the rubber ?

thanks you very much

I would apply adhesion promoter then epoxy.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

France
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 pm
Fantastic, thanks you for your answer Timbo :D

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic